Squier '51 in Minneapolis...

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Squier '51 in Minneapolis...

Post by eatswodo »

I was in Guitar Center in Edina this afternoon - they have a black Squier '51 hanging on the wall for $149. Good clean condition - I played it unplugged for a little while, and it seemed to be in good shape.

I gather that there's a bit of a cult following around these - just thought I'd post if anyone local was interested.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Re: Squier '51 in Minneapolis...

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I have one in Sunburst. They are great guitars IMO.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

lyle_from_minneapolis wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................
It's hanging on the wall on the left, just before you go into the acoustic guitar room :)
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Yeah, I checked it out. Definitely a good deal, but not something I need right now. I'd really like a nice all-humbucker guitar, but this one had too many similarities to my Strat for me to grab it.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

lyle_from_minneapolis wrote:Yeah, I checked it out. Definitely a good deal, but not something I need right now. I'd really like a nice all-humbucker guitar, but this one had too many similarities to my Strat for me to grab it.
My thoughts also - I really 'need' a Tele, and this one wasn't quite Tele enough. Apart from anything else, it doesn't dig into my ribcage like a real Tele - altogether too Strat-like for the purpose. Still, someone's going to get a fine instrument for a very modest outlay.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

This from Wikipedia:

The Squier '51 originally sold for around US$150 through most large music retailers and catalog outlets, although various incentives and sales further reduced the sale price at times. In late 2004, several large music chains were selling the '51 for US$99.99, and even as low as US$69.99 in "Guitar Center" stores, as recently as July 2007.[citation needed] Its low price and unique style made it very popular with players who like to modify and upgrade their guitar components. The Squier '51 is now out of production and has developed a strong cult following because of its user-friendly neck and unique sound. Today used examples command a higher price than the guitar did when new; as of 2009 original examples in good condition sell for $150–$200 and up.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I went back to look at it again after doing a bit more research - I hadn't realized that there was a coiltap switch for the bridge humbucker, which adds a couple of useful extra sounds.

As it turned out, I couldn't resist it. Just picked it up for $110 - needs a little fretwork, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. I still want a Tele, but this will do nicely in the meantime.
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Good grab.

Timbo

(I was born in St. Paul)
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Good deal! I really liked it...just didn't need it enough. But ever since I stopped in there to try it, I've found myself staring a little more intently at craigslist...I can feel the jones getting bigger...another guitar...another guitar... :shock:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Congrats David. You'll love it. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I've just finished some mods on this '51, and thought I'd come back here to give an update. Holy buckets, this was over three years ago?

Oh well, no apologies - it was my thread to begin with :)

Here's my '51, three years on - rewired with a Tele control layout, GFS bridge, Fender Noiseless in the neck position and a PickGuardian BWB pick guard. If things look a little crooked, they are. Remember this was not an expensive guitar to begin with. The bridge, in particular, is a bit ****-eyed. I've got about $200 invested in this, and it's a gem.

octagon

Post by octagon »

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”