Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Another RC rarity

Post by royclough »

chriscurtisfan

Re: Another RC rarity

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, thanks for posting that new rarity today -- it's just beautiful! Anytime I get a Searchers song from the early years, it's like Christmas morning! Thanks so much! It's now the Lead Song on my CCF Channel!

Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

And thanks for your comment it is really appreciated
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, do you have any idea why a song like this wouldn't have been chosen to record? It is so pure Searchers style of that time! Truly, truly lovely. I've put it with my All Time Searchers Favorites.

Maybe I'm toooo Searchers biased, but this one seems so obvious of their style, that it might have been a very commercial success? Your thoughts?

Thank you again; for uncovering it for us!

Cheri B.
CCF
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

chriscurtisfan wrote:Roy, do you have any idea why a song like this wouldn't have been chosen to record? It is so pure Searchers style of that time! Truly, truly lovely. I've put it with my All Time Searchers Favorites.

Maybe I'm toooo Searchers biased, but this one seems so obvious of their style, that it might have been a very commercial success? Your thoughts?

Thank you again; for uncovering it for us!

Cheri B.
CCF
Obviously I'm not Roy but if it's ok, I'll chip in. I believe this song was written in the early 70's long after the boys hit-making days had passed.

Roy, when was this particular performance of MIke's recorded? I'm guessing the nineties or later.

Here's a link to the song and its history. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... henry&aq=f
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

David I don't think this is from 70's the spoken intro id by a guy called Brian Matthew who hosted a UK radio show called Saturday Club which last broad cast in 69, Searchers last appearance on it was 67 and I believe this is taken from that show year I suspect about 65/66.

Here what Frank Allen says
"I recall doing it (in the studio I`m sure) but I assume it never made any of our albums. Are you sure it is credited to us (RC: It is) The words and the chord structure don`t sound like our writing.

As for the Mike Pender query David I believe it dates back to early 2000's it is of course a live recording and private recording. This is link to actual vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXRidySd97E
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, are you saying that the song was written by somebody in the Searchers?! If so, Chris and Mike did most of the song writing at that time. Frank may not think it, but I hear this is as original early Searchers style -- all that drumming (like Chris did in Needles), and Mike Pender on lead vocal sounding amazing - possible double tracked? I don't know the proper terminology, but I know what I love!

And this sounds nothing like the Searchers of later decades, to my untrained ear.

:( The song is actually on the BBC CD's, my friend Gary Twitchett evidently has the track listings memorized. (Searchers fanatic always and still; he even got me their autographs at a 60's weekend last fall). He knows their music inside out. And sure enough, I found it there on the BBC CD. Initially, I paid it no mind, as I thought it was after Chris left. But when Roy posted it to YT, stating the time was 1965, I re-listened and fell in love with the ethereal quality of it, and the overt drumming, which is typical of Chris Curtis style.

I DO like some of the after-Chris years music, i.e. Hearts in Her Eyes. But they are all songs that remind me of the early Searchers, and Hearts certainly does!

If you don't mind, Roy, I will go on merrily believing you are the ultimate expert, and that is my Chris on the drums. Thank you for, obviously, getting in touch with Frank for his comments.

I do appreciate you!

Cheri B.
CCF
Last edited by chriscurtisfan on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Cheri

I have cleared up the question finally though of course someone could always prove me wrong but I'd forgot it appeared on BBC Sessions.

Song was performed on what I am sure was Searchers last performance on Saturday Club 06/05/1967. So it would be John Blunt on drums, however John McNally recalls that either he or Chris wrote the song and that it was recorded at Pye but never finished
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Well, that would follow that once Frank appears as the Front Man on the BBC Sessions, the music after that is not Chris. However, I do love the song, and JB did a great CC drum effect. Obviously, I'm a person 'SEARCHING' for music that Chris was part of. Yet, I do enjoy the music they produced after Chris, that has the original Searchers sound, and that would include Mike Pender's wonderful voice, which is on I'll Be Lovin You.

Thanks for clarifying it all, Roy!! :)

Cheri B.
CCF

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”