Secrets of Good Lighting in Guitar Photography

Capturing Guitar images
8mileshigher

Secrets of Good Lighting in Guitar Photography

Post by 8mileshigher »

Jeff - et. al.
I am convinced there must be some good lighting techniques that good RRF photographers use to capture some of these fabulous photos that are posted.

I am quite the amateur in this regard, with just a no-frills, regular little Epson digital camera. Half the time I seem Io get big "flash" images (reflections) on the Ric being photographed... or other photos seem listless and unimaginative.

On the weekend, I tried to get pictures after giving my newly acquired JetGlo 370 WB the Zymol treatment and no matter if it was sunlight coming through the window, or drawing the blinds and having filtered sunlight or supplementing the natural sunlight with a lamp switched on at the same time, or using white background compared to using a brownish wall as the backdrop, or flash on or flash off, or what have you .... Endless combinations and I was not happy with the pictures.

Can some of the more expert photographers share some of your secrets about lighting and especially how you bring the lighting into play for closeups, upwards angles and downwards angles, and this sort of thing ? (And don't try and tell me it was just the brillance of the Zymol that caused the over-exposures ! :lol: :wink: )

Do you more experienced photographers "know" you have the right lighting and angle from the get-go or is it all trial and error for you too ?
Thanks
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Secrets of Good Lighting in Guitar Photography

Post by jps »

Post some of your 'failed' photos so we can see what it is that we need to discuss.

I recommend avoiding flash that is on the camera due to the axial nature of that light as it is right next to the lens. In my studio I use good old fashioned hot lights (think movie or theatre lighting) to create the light. One thing you mentioned is using a lamp in conjunction with sunlight. This creates issues with mixed lighting, different color temperatures, one being warmer in color (the lamp) and the other being cooler (the sun).
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for your inital comments Jeff.
It will take me a day or two to resize the "failed" pics for posting.
collin

Post by collin »

Mine aren't even that great.......but the ghetto way of getting good lighting is to take pictures outside either early in the morning or at dusk (or on a cloudy day).

The overcast clouds act as a natural softbox for lighting, and they will turn out great if you have a decent camera.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here is the first batch of resized pictures:
Attachments
No flash problem but the Zymol gloss produced mirror effect
No flash problem but the Zymol gloss produced mirror effect
Fretboard looking glared by flash
Fretboard looking glared by flash
Flash and fretboard looking bleached out
Flash and fretboard looking bleached out
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's the second batch of disappointing pictures:
Attachments
White background, full length shot
White background, full length shot
Close up not very good -- lots of finish imperfections showing. JetGlo looks greenish
Close up not very good -- lots of finish imperfections showing. JetGlo looks greenish
Chrome flash; note I raised the Bridge pickup to compensate for low-gain High Gain
Chrome flash; note I raised the Bridge pickup to compensate for low-gain High Gain
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's the third and final batch.... aside from Flash problems, what do you think about lighting issues ?
Attachments
Natural window light; multi colored background
Natural window light; multi colored background
Body shot; this time Flash was not so glaring
Body shot; this time Flash was not so glaring
Body shot; Flash seems a bigger problem
Body shot; Flash seems a bigger problem
collin

Post by collin »

Rich, aside from the advice I gave before (shooting outside is a major help), you're shooting too close to the guitar.

Try standing a few feet further back, and zooming in for the shot. Usually when you can see the flash point in the guitar finish (or hardware), you're too close to it.

I'm no photography buff, but I do understand that lighting is an "overall" process. Ideally the photography zone should be so well lit that you don't even need your flash at all (be that from sunlight or artificial studio lighting).

Good lighting can often produce great photography from a cheap camera too, whereas you can have a great camera but it's useless without lighting.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Avoid the flashlight or direct sunlight....as Collin said, early morning or dawn is perfect. Pro photographers use reflectors to create an indirect flash light for a consistant lighting. Flashing against the ceiling may help us amateurs.. :wink: . A neutral smooth background in relation to the colour of the object to be photographed is helpful as well, a white wall is not the best choice. Check out Craig Witty's pics around here or on ebay offers. If the mood of the light is fine you nearly have it all done .. :)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

collin wrote:Try standing a few feet further back, and zooming in for the shot.
Great thread, as I still need to take decent pictures of my 360 JG... anyway, what if the camera does lousy zoom? My Sony digital camera's quite old and just 3x zoom. Plus every pictures I take seems to be too pixeled :?

Anyway, I'll take a few pictures outside with the advice given above :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Wildberry wrote:Anyway, I'll take a few pictures outside with the advice given above :D
Went outside when the morning sun went behind some whispy clouds - looks definitely better than any picture I've taken inside!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Be aware of the reflections when composing the shot, as well. Try to set up with a blank or desirable image opposite the gloss. :idea: :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
collin

Post by collin »

kiramdear wrote:Be aware of the reflections when composing the shot, as well. Try to set up with a blank or desirable image opposite the gloss. :idea: :wink:

Yup, and i've even gone as far as holding a huge white foamboard (or poster board) in one hand, and camera in the other, to get the right reflection even on the whole guitar.

Wildberry wrote:
Wildberry wrote:Anyway, I'll take a few pictures outside with the advice given above :D
Went outside when the morning sun went behind some whispy clouds - looks definitely better than any picture I've taken inside!
Well done! Looks great.

As for the zoom........do you have $150 ? Decent point-and-shoot digital cameras are dirt cheap these days. Money well spent, especially if you ever use the camera regularly for buying/selling stuff.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

This was taken with no flash, just the indirect light from outside through the sunblind.

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Alex, great picture! I might try something similar with the bedroom curtain and sunlight tomorrow morning. I'm still not pleased with how the outside pictures look, you know.
kiramdear wrote:Try to set up with a blank or desirable image opposite the gloss. :idea: :wink:
Uhm? What? Can anyone translate Kira's post into English? :lol: I don't have a clue what you mean, Kira :oops:

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”