I need some new nickel rounds for my 4003.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

I need some new nickel rounds for my 4003.

Post by cassius987 »

Hey all. I have had the same nickel roundwounds on my 4003 AFG since its last gig, which was over a year ago when my original material band did its simultaneous 100th/Farewell show. They're showing their age even though since then it's just been a practice bass playing second fiddle to my fretless. However I think it's time to replace them but I don't know what to replace with--I just know I want 45-60-80-105 strings or similar. I'm thinking DR or D'A (the strings installed now are D'A) but would be willing to try something else if I needed to or if the incentive was there.

By the way, went back to the stock bridge on this bass recently (since I wasn't gigging it I had a Hipshot on it to compare), and man, I've really got to endorse the stock bridge. The low action and stability of the bridge saddles is so much better. I am in agreement with those who say it's not perfect, but I still think it's better than the Hipshot--unless of course the guys at Hipshot decide to do some revisions themselves. In any case the outer strings both dropped a millimeter and a half of action and the inner strings dropped a half millimeter and now they're all reading the same value so they're matching the fingerboard curve perfectly. Nice!
teeder

Re: I need some new nickel rounds for my 4003.

Post by teeder »

I've been using GHS Boomers for years and have no complaints. Lights on my older basses and Med-lights on my V63.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I been using D'Addario strings since '81. I never had an issue with any of their strings, like I've had with another string brand. Their strings always sound good to me. They also once helped me with something that had nothing to do with music. They didn't have to do that. So, I stay loyal to their brand.
Have you thought about any other strings yet, Joshua?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

dr sunbeams 45-100 set worked really well on the 4000 before i put maxima flats on it,and also are working really well on the cii. i prefer smaller e and a strings on the ricks-i have a 45-105 set of sunbeams on my jazz bass though. i like that the can be clanky grindy sounding,and very buttery smooth sounding (and feeling) as well.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

TI Jazz Rounds here. 8)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I've used GHS Boomers and D'addario XLs (depending upon which was available) since the early '80s and never had an issue. Tone and longevity are excellent for both brands.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
ram

Post by ram »

I'm in the D'Addario band wagon us 'em on my 4, 5 & 8 string (8 string a custom set)... sound and feel great. last a good while. good size choices and availability for a good price!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

What about longevity of brightness? How would you guys rate the GHS Boomers, D'Addario Nickel XLs, and DR Sunbeams in this regard? I actually dislike nickels that stay too bright for too long. I want them to dull up a bit after the first week of playing and then stay moderately bright.

Thanks for the replies.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

In general nickels start off being darker than steels but retain their character much better - when I played regularly and only used one bass, I would only need to change strings once every 3 months or so (Boomers or XLs). I was, of course, playing very low-key dances and dives, so my tone didn't have to be recording quality. The initial brightness would ease off after about a week, and then the decay would be very slow indeed. I had been dabbling with Rotos before this and found I had to change strings (and frets) much more often.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
gbarchus

Post by gbarchus »

TI Jazz flats on my 4001v63
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

It's all down to body chemistry, I find with nickles that they start too bright and soon enough they go much more dull and a bit boomy. (which works well on my P bass and the waterstones) Nickels to my ear start sounding out of tune sooner.. With strings such as Rotosounds they start with that high mid bark with less treble than a nickel string. They within a week or two they loose some of the extra highs but the high mids remain and they retain low end clarity more than nickel. However they dont seem to develop the boom that nickels have.
I often use a brand called "puretone" they are korean made but seem to have some of the best attributes of both Nickel and Stainless strings.
They do come in the rather strange size on 45 60 80 100. They seem to work well on my 4001 which needs new strings now but they lasted much longer than Daddarios or Rotosounds. I have had the odd crook string though (just let Puretone know and they sort it out)
I've started in conversations with them to have a 12 string bass set made......

So I seem to kill Daddarios quickly and get a long life out of Rotos (which I used only on my rm 1999 until recently), I have heard others who get the opposite results, so it seems to be all in the skin....

That was no help at all was it.....

Eden.
bohousp

Post by bohousp »

I think that better are Rickenbacker nickles or DR nickles strings.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Welcome Bohumil!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
bohousp

Post by bohousp »

bassduke49 wrote:Welcome Bohumil!
Hi, thanks for welcome.
I buy my first original Rick 4003 Fireglo last week. This forum is nice and useful.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Welcome to the forum, Bohumil.

Been my experience that Ernie Ball Slinkys loose their brightness quickly.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”