We Gotta Go...To Court

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

We Gotta Go...To Court

Post by kenposurf »

Hard to believe the band was actually "investigated" for singing a tune with obscene lyrics..whish as we know it did not..ok in our minds it did :D :D :D

Today:
http://www.louielouie.org/
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Re: We Gotta Go...To Court

Post by elreydlp »

I STILL sing the "dirty" lyrics as I learned them from Margaret Greene; a hot chick in my 8th -grade homeroom.
But then again, I STILL suffer from arrested development!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Hey Skip..good to have ya back....keep singin' those dirty lyrics :D :D :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

That song has dirty lyrics in it? Who could tell? I could never even decipher them... :lol: :lol: :lol:
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

paologregorio wrote:That song has dirty lyrics in it? Who could tell? I could never even decipher them... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here ya go Paul..
Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

CHORUS

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

CHORUS

Okay, let's give it to 'em, right now!

GUITAR SOLO

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Let's take it on outa here now
Let's go!!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

paologregorio wrote:That song has dirty lyrics in it? Who could tell? I could never even decipher them... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was the problem, Paul. We had to learn songs as soon as they came on the radio-usually from a 45 played on my sister's Silvertone MONO record player with a stack of quarters on the tone arm to keep it from jumping the grooves. That also played havoc on the pitch-hence we would re-tune to be in tune with each record.
Anyway, the slurred lyrics combined with the poor fidelity of the record player made learning lyrics a chore. Since Margaret had "figured them out" and wrote them down for me-that's what I went with. That did create a problem when we played "Louie, Louie" on our (The Innovations) weekly TV Show, "Swing Ding with Bill Miller". I had to do a quick "rewrite"-and any resemblance to the real, Richard Berry lyrics was purely accidental.
The slurring on the record was caused by singer Jack Ely (NOT Lynn Easton) having to tilt his head back to sing into a mic hung from the studio ceiling. By the time "Louie Squared" hit the charts, Ely was gone; having been replaced by Easton.

Thanks George for the welcome back (good to be back) and the "real" lyrics. I no longer sing "Louie" since we do it in "A" and I sang it in "G".
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

On the subject of "misheard" lyrics, I have a very funny book called "S'cuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" that's full of them. Apparently there's also a website:

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

I'm going to start a "Misheard Lyrics" thread on "The Others". Feel free to contribute.
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

that came dangerously close to being my state's theme song back in the late 80's :lol: :lol: :lol:
no, really!!!!!!ya can't make this stuff up!!! http://louielouieweb.tripod.com/state_song.htm
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

fluffy wrote:that came dangerously close to being my state's theme song back in the late 80's :lol: :lol: :lol:
no, really!!!!!!ya can't make this stuff up!!! http://louielouieweb.tripod.com/state_song.htm
Never heard about that..great :D :D :D
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Has anyone heard the story that the Kingsmen were PLOWED in the studio when "Louie" was recorded??, thus causing the slurring of the lyrics.....I LIKE the politically incorrect lyrics much better :oops:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

vynesmusic wrote:
Has anyone heard the story that the Kingsmen were PLOWED in the studio when "Louie" was recorded??, thus causing the slurring of the lyrics.....I LIKE the politically incorrect lyrics much better :oops:
Jeez, those are "dirty" lyrics?! I still can't find anything obscene or dirty in them, or even anything suggestive. Am I missing something?
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

paologregorio wrote:
vynesmusic wrote:
Jeez, those are "dirty" lyrics?! I still can't find anything obscene or dirty in them, or even anything suggestive. Am I missing something?
Just misunderstood lyrics is all from this verse
I smell the rose in her hair.

pm me if you can't figure it out..family forum it is :D :D
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

"Just misunderstood lyrics is all from this verse
I smell the rose in her hair."

pm me if you can't figure it out..family forum it is :D :D[/quote]

I totally agree---those cats were sloshed when they recorded that ditty.....but you should have been there in 1966 to see all the handwritten lyrics all us band kids in Chicagoland had for that song.....LEGENDARY... :oops: :roll: :lol:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”