Johnny Marr's Gretsches

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

egosheep
Intermediate Member

Johnny Marr's Gretsches

Post by egosheep »

Hey everyone... I was wondering if any of you could help me identify what the exact models are for these 3 Gretsches of Johnny's:

This third one is described as a 6120 that was previously owned by Pete Townsend, but I'm not sure what the other two are exactly. Are they 6120's as well?

Great Ramp In My Opinion.
paologregorio

Re: Johnny Marr's Gretsches

Post by paologregorio »

I'm pretty sure they're both Country Club models-just different model years. The first one has Dynasonics and a Melitta bridge, so I'd say mid 1950s. The second has a thinner body, and what looks like a Chet Style Bigsby, so early 60s.
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

paologregorio wrote:I'm pretty sure they're both Country Club models-just different model years. The first one has Dynasonics and a Melitta bridge, so I'd say mid 1950s. The second has the Chet Style Bigsby, so early 60s.
Yep, Country Clubs.................................................sweet
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

paologregorio wrote:I'm pretty sure they're both Country Club models-just different model years. The first one has Dynasonics and a Melitta bridge, so I'd say mid 1950s. The second has a thinner body, and what looks like a Chet Style Bigsby, so early 60s.
Thanks! :)
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

I know for a fact that Pete still owns his original 6120, the one he recorded most of Who's Next with. He told me that specifically. Joe Walsh gave him that guitar and a '58 Flying V, which Pete later sold to Rudolph Schenker to help fund a boat. That guitar is pictured on the front cover of All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes.

Pete smashed that Gretsch on Top of The Pops in the 70's, but had it repaired.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

drumbob wrote:I know for a fact that Pete still owns his original 6120, the one he recorded most of Who's Next with. He told me that specifically. Joe Walsh gave him that guitar and a '58 Flying V, which Pete later sold to Rudolph Schenker to help fund a boat. That guitar is pictured on the front cover of All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes.

Pete smashed that Gretsch on Top of The Pops in the 70's, but had it repaired.
Johnny's story about the Gretsch and 1993:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thomas: Thanks for this great quote from Johnny Marr.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”