Slide down the slide

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Slide down the slide

Post by JakeK »

Which members have mucked around with slide guitar? Lap steel CAN count, but I'm talking about about slide guitar.

What's the brains behind slide guitar? George Harrison said high action, correct intonation and heavy strings is what makes it work. And he was a master at slide!

If you do play slide, which guitar in your arsenal do you use? Do you find Rics to be a good slide guitar? Steel or glass slide? Middle, ring or pinky finger? I've often come to believe that Gretsch hollowbodies and Strats are the best slide guitars, but I'm sure I'm going to get completely different answers here! :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Slide down the slide

Post by kiramdear »

There's no mystery to slide guitar. It's just like George said - heavy strings and high action. Any guitar can be set up for slide. They do make cheater nuts that fit over the nut and raise the action at the nut, but they aren't essential to have, just nice if you have a guitar dedicated for slide.

Haven't used any of my ricks for slide but there's no reason that they shouldn't be fantastic for it. Glass, metal, ceramic, it's all a matter of taste. Most slide players have several of each. Technique is a matter of comfort, necessity, and ear.

Harrison was an innovative slide player while, say, Johnny Winter is more traditionally rooted. The old blues guys are the masters and can teach you a lot. Listen to them all and create your own style. It's a very intuitive endeavor, not hard to pick up if you're a good listener. The hard part is to infuse your playing with soul and create a sound that stands out as your own.
All I wanna do is rock!
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

If you want to have a little bit of fun, try a slide with your Ric 12 string. And don't forget to run it through your TS-9 to add a touch of grit and sustain.

As for the other questions, I use my ring finger. It gives me the most control. I prefer metal slides over glass. I've just never gotten along with glass slides. I don't sound good with them and they feel weird to me. To me, chrome slides the easiest, but brass has a warmer, richer sound. I've heard a lot of people like ceramic slides, but I've never tried one myself.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Keith Richards used a slide on a 12-string for the sound in Mother's Little Helper.

I have a slide, it's chrome and shorter than a standard slide... about the width of the fretboard. It has a nick on it, I use this slide in my picking hand to tremolo-pick a string really fast. I keep the slide in one place, and move the notes around with my left hand. I was inspired by David Gilmour's slide technique here:

Great Ramp In My Opinion.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Duane Allman used light strings and low action -- HE was the master. :wink:

- Scott
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Only lap steel for me. I can't be bothered to play slide on a guitar with low action anymore and I can't say I enjoy the likes of Duane Allman anyway. I do like George's playing quite a bit.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I switch back and forth between a wine bottle neck and a metal slide. I usually wear the slide on my pinky so I can fret with the other three fingers. I prefer to play slide on a 1930s model round neck Dobro, but have been known to use my S.L. Mossman when the Dobro wasn't within reach.

As to using a Rick for slide, my thought is "Why not?" Heavier strings are best, I think, and high action is a must.

JimK
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

I used to play with a glass slide on my little finger... but eventually found lap steel much more satisfying.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yeah, truth be known, I think for electric playing, I'd really like to have a lap steel someday.

JimK
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I use a chrome short slide or a brass (depends how I feel) with my 620 on a few songs. Sounds great (10-42s and low action) but I am not playing tons of songs or complex lines either. Some Lady Antebelum, Steelers Wheel, stuff like that.

Use them on my pinky so I can fret behind the slide and play most regular chops as well. A light touch is required because of the low action.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

scott_s wrote:Duane Allman used light strings and low action -- HE was the master. :wink:

- Scott
Hmmm, just listen to the end of Layla and how horribly out of tune that was.

I used a chrome-plated bottle neck slide years ago only on my first acoustic guitar. The action was high, so I relied on slide position rather than the frets to hit the notes. It may have been then that I realized how inconvenient frets are. :wink:
Can we have everything louder than everything else?

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”