Pete Townshend's '59 6120

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Pete Townshend's '59 6120

Post by JakeK »

As most of us Who fans know, Pete Townshend was given a '59 6120 with Tweed Bassman or Bandmaster during the sessions of "Who's Next" in 1971 and he would use the guitar (and the amp) for the next 10 years.

A Gretsch does sound best through a Tweed Fender, in my opinion. There's something about that combo that just gives a Gretsch it's full potential.

Some of the Who's best work was recorded with that guitar, "Baba O'Riley", "Bargain", "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Let's See Action", "The Real Me", "Cut My Hair", "5:15", "Love Reign O'Er Me", "Squeeze Box" (some may not agree on that one) and "Who Are You"

There's been some sources that say this guitar is in the hands of Johnny Marr of the Smiths, but it must be another one Pete owned (the one with the pickguard?) as Pete clearly stated in 1993 that he still owns it, a picture from '04 even showed it behind him, take a look:
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/gretsch.html

It is a fine guitar, thank goodness Pete got it fixed:

Bob, you went in depth with Pete about tone and guitars in an interview, what were his thoughts on the guitar/amp setup and Gretsch guitars as a whole?
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Re: Pete Townshend's '59 6120

Post by drumbob »

He didn't say much about anything Gretsch other than he still had the 6120 he recorded much of "Who's Next" with. He mentioned that Joe Walsh had given it to him, and that he had broken it on TOTP but had it repaired.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Re: Pete Townshend's '59 6120

Post by egosheep »

Johnny bought several guitars from Alan Rogan, who was Pete's guitar tech... The 1993 and the Gretsch are known about, and he may have gotten his signature greenburst Giffin tele from him as well, as Giffen made a lot of tele's for Pete.

Here's Johnny playing it live in 1986:
vlcsnap-1197794.png
I'm also curious about which guitar this was... I guess Pete had two of them, or maybe 3 of them, lol.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”