Taking a mallot to a 4001

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

4003SeaGreen

Taking a mallot to a 4001

Post by 4003SeaGreen »

About three months ago, before I purchased my beautiful Sea Green 4003, I was looking around my hometown for a 4001, and found a white one. When I played it, there was massive fret buzz on the neck around the 4th and 5th frets on the E and A strings. I pointed it out to the salesman, and he proceeded to take off the truss rod cover and tighten the the truss rods. When they wouldn't tighten anymore, he put it back together and this time the buzz moved over to the D and G strings on the 4th fret. I noticed there was a crack near the 4th fret on the binding of the neck. He stated that the fret might be coming out, so he took it to the back and pounded the fret back in with a mallot. I tried it again, and this time the buzz was elsewhere. I passed on the bass, but I'd like to know if he was doing the right thing or how badly was he messing this bass up? After reading this forum, I know that the truss rods on the 4001 can cause damage if you don't adjust it right, and I'm pretty sure you shouldn't take a mallot to a fret. Thanks.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

NO usually take the bass out back of the shop and lay it on the alley pavement.

I use a 3/4 ton Chevy van to adjust rods .Just drive over it a few times ...that takes care of the frets and the neck,no problem.

I have used a crane with a wrecking ball before ...but I just don't seem to get the same results.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
FATRAT_II

Post by FATRAT_II »

Mark,
I'll have to try that...
I use to use my friends old 60 Chevy impala. I would set the neck under a board and place another board on top and driver up over it, it usually did the trick...
i dont think the mallot would do it, because it would be uneven hitting just one fret at a time... try a sledge hammer with a straight board over the frets, dont be afraid to give it a hard swing try to line it up and hit it in the middle....to fix the frets try a ice pick or a butter knife and pry at the fret....if the binding comes off, dont worry it will be a custom 4001s then with inlays...

I have some real good advise for you 4003seaGreen...
I dont think you should EVER ever go back to that place, dude....
FATRAT II
4003Seagreen

Post by 4003Seagreen »

Thanks for the constructive responses guys. The bass is still for sale on the net, so beware.
RAT

Post by RAT »

we were kidding about all that....
Those people are left over from the autobody industry and need to stick to slapping putty in a rusted out Ford or something...
not messing with guitar repairs....
I have ran into these types to the always have one thing in common a big EGO...
the first thing I look for in a Luthier and I think Marc will agree????
is one that will admit he's not super human, that if a job is over his head they pass on it or send you to someone else...
I know one guy that if he needed beer money or rent on the building well, thats what the cost of the repair was when you pick it up!!!!!
I've seen more goofed up collectable guitars that some nutball GEETAR REP'AREMAN with an ice pick and a hammer, has screwed up...go over to ebay and put PROJECT in the search engine....
thanks for the warning on the bass...
good luck Image

RAT

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”