Amp Advice

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johneek
Advanced Member

Amp Advice

Post by johneek »

I sure would appreciate everyone's advice on a bass amp. I've never really played bass seriously, only messed around with it (as most guitar players do at one point or another) but finally decided to take the plunge. The JG 4003 I ordered has been shipped from the factory and should be "home" in a week or so.

What would you recommend as a "first" bass amp? I have played through an Ampeg BA115 and wasn't that impressed, at least in terms of volume, even at "jam" levels in the house. I obviously won't play out any at first, but wouldn't refuse an opportunity if it came up. I have been looking at the GK MB115, but after reading some threads on another bass forum, I wondered if the MB210 is something I should consider, given the fact that it seems to have plenty of power (more than I need now for sure) and the capability to plug in an extension cabinet.

Whatever I end up with will mostly be used for my personal practice and be available for friends who come over to play. Suggestions, council, and wisdom are all appreciated....
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Re: Amp Advice

Post by lennon211 »

John, I started playing bass a few years ago and what I use is a Fender Rumble 100/210. I use it with a variety of basses (4003, Jazz, Precision, Hofner) It's got good volume for jams and I've done a few small gigs with it. It's fairly easily moved when needed and the features are pretty solid. I've liked the tones that I can dial in with it too. I can get the "clank" if that's what I'm looking for or the deeper Motown/Stax sounds if that's the target; it hasn't really let me down in that area. I also find it to be very convenient for playing/learning other material as it has the RCA jacks on the front to connect an iPod or CD player. Construction is solid. It looks like they've modified the series since I got mine, but I would recommend them based on what I've heard.

It looks like you can get a good deal on one from MF, among other places.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

What are your price and size constraints? I'm guessing you're looking for a combo amp?

The best sounding small combo I've ever played through is the Mesa Walkabout Scout. They're kinda pricey though. Maybe $1100-1200?
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

Markbass CMD 121 combo
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There are some who will say nothing less than an SVT will do! :lol:

I tried the MB115 a couple weekends ago and it seemed like a very nice amp tonally, but I did not crank it (I should have, it was at GC :mrgreen: ). If you are looking for one amp that can gig and do "practice sessions" the MB210 might be a better choice, for the reasons you stated above.

Budget would be nice to know to target your choices a bit better.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Price...yeah, I knew I forgot something. $500-600 a target range....I'd like to stay under $700 for sure. I'd like a combo. Thanks for your wisdom so far.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Jeff...How would you compare the GK to your Markbass?
RicOSoundMan

Post by RicOSoundMan »

I used to play thru Traynor Amps loved em too!!! Now I play thru Accoustic Control Corp amps. I love em even more, They are reasonable priced and perform very well have great tone and sound and the volume is there also. I used to play regular in a local band now I play regular at our local church. I have a B260 mini stack has a 100w head and a single 10" ported cabinet.

To my knowledge John Paul Jones still plays through his B 360. The company has been around awhile they were big in the 60's had some economic difficulties and are back. I know sounds like a commercial, I just like em alot. No bells and whistles just great sound and tone.
Attachments
This is what mine looks like
This is what mine looks like
My Ric Basses are:
76' 3000 MG ---09' 4003 MG
77' 3001 MG ---92' 2060 FG
77' 4001 Jetglo---93' 2060 FG
Other
08' Fender "Geddy Lee" Sig. Jazz Bass
82' Kawai F-II-B
RicOSoundMan

Post by RicOSoundMan »

Forgot I paid $245.00 for the B260 regularly seem to go for around $300.00 though.

check em out that's all I can say

Later
My Ric Basses are:
76' 3000 MG ---09' 4003 MG
77' 3001 MG ---92' 2060 FG
77' 4001 Jetglo---93' 2060 FG
Other
08' Fender "Geddy Lee" Sig. Jazz Bass
82' Kawai F-II-B
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johneek wrote:Jeff...How would you compare the GK to your Markbass?
I assume you mean my Minimark (MM) combo amp; I have not done a side by side, but my guess is that the tones are not all that different. The GK has a more flexible EQ than the MM, so far I have not considered that a liability on the MM. I do have the option of adding an extension cab to the MM, which I do occasionally, and I am truly amazed at how well it can keep up with a band (drummer). 8) If I have the time this weekend I may go back to GC and bring my MM to do a fair comparison; I was almost going to buy the MB115, then I came to my senses, I don't need another combo amp. :roll: :wink: :idea: :!:
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

Hi John,

I'm in the same category as you, played guitar for many years and late last year acquired a 4004Cii.

As for amps, I wanted something better than a practice amp, but still compact and light.

I finished up with a Markbass CMD 121P combo. They are not cheap, but they don't take up much space, they won't break your back, and they have the volume should you ever decide to play out.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Can't beat Markbass.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I'm a big fan of GK, especially on a value-for-money basis (I have one of those tiny MB150 combos in my arsenal). The MB210 looks really interesting, and the option of adding an extension cab later gives you a heap of flexibility. I find the GK tone to be very transparent - it is clean and clinical, which some people don't like, but the flipside is that it works really well with pedals (e.g. Tech21 or Line6) if you want to access a wide range of tones.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. Jeff, I'll look forward to your A-B review....
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I'm your basic frugal conservative type so I look for bargains.I found one in a scratch'n dent buy for a Behringer BXL3000 and haven't yet regretted it.Its quite loud, and I haven't yet needed to crank it.Being a low priced item, I won't really cry if turns to smoke or walks away.

The idea of smaller,louder items got me curious about the Ampeg Micro VR which I got one piece at a time with discounts and will take it out to the next gig.So far at home it's too loud and sounds good.And it's a light l'il thingy.
After all those years of needing the bigger heavier louder backache rigs, I kinda like the reverse snobbery of getting the smallest rig and still "rattling the windows and shaking down the halls".We'll see.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”