When You Walk In The Room

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
wrd

When You Walk In The Room

Post by wrd »

New to the forum but a life long Searchers fan.

I have 2 questions for the pros on "When You Walk In The Room."
1). I've always been under the impression that Mike used his Rick 360/12 on that track. I recently read that it was Mike and John both on their 6 strings with a little reverb or echo added which simulated a twelve string guitar by accident. I'm thinking that the writer was referencing Needles and Pins?

2). Who sang the lead vocal on the track. My guess is- it was both Mike and Frank singing in unison and Chris chiming in on harmony. I may be wrong.

Looking forward to many more posts. Take care,
Rick D. from Jacksonville, Florida
wrd

Re: When You Walk In The Room

Post by wrd »

Woooops. It should be titled-"When You Walk In The Room."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rick: A Rickenbacker Model 1993 was used in the recording of this song, played by Mike Pender. They used Vox AC-30 amplifiers.

The vocalists were Mike and Frank on lead and in unison with Chris adding harmonies.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Did the songwriter actually mean "walk in the room" (person already in the room) or "walk into the room" (person outside, entering the room)? :roll:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good point Gary and a fine lesson in grammar.

Sometimes convention takes over and re-writes the rules a bit.

It may seem odd referring to Walk-Into Clinics and Drive-Into Theatres or hearing soldiers ordered to Fall-Into. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I was lucky enough to catch Spencer Leigh's Radio Mersyside show on the web once when he had Jackie DeShannon on (one of my all time loves... :wink: ). She said she wrote this while waiting for a date to show up one night. She also said it was one of the quickest songs she has ever written; she finished it in about 10 minutes!
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

That's a great song, and I also love Jackie Deshannon. She can be heard on:

America’s longest running
and most listened to Beatles show,
Breakfast w/ the Beatles

hosted by Chris Carter,

(on 95.5 KLOS–FM Los Angeles
and, starting Sunday October 25th,
on SIRIUS 25/XM 59,
Little Stevens Underground Garage,
9 a.m. ET/6 a.m. PT)
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Jackie is one of the most underrated artists in Rock History and she should be in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. She was the first female singer/songwriter of consequence (Carole King was mainly a songwriter in the early '60's, she didn't start performing until the end of the decade).

Here is Jackie lip synching "When You Walk In The Room". If you pay close attention at the beginning of the song, she starts miming a little early and you can see her catching herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRv6iCCYQo
wrd

Post by wrd »

Thanks for posting the link to Jackie's "When You Walk In The Room." Its interesting to hear the 12 string guitar used on her version. I'm not sure when Mike got his Ric and what song he first used it on but hearing Jackie's version makes me think Mike wanted to emulate what he heard. Was this song the reason Mike got his Ric 360/12?
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

JeffZ wrote:I was lucky enough to catch Spencer Leigh's Radio Mersyside show on the web once when he had Jackie DeShannon on (one of my all time loves... :wink: ). She said she wrote this while waiting for a date to show up one night. She also said it was one of the quickest songs she has ever written; she finished it in about 10 minutes!
OMG, don't get me started on Jackie DeShannon!! She wrote my favorite Searchers song!!

Is there anything sweeter than all those guitars, harmony and whatever at 1:35 that piece of music is called -- brilliant!! ***Sigh****
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Want a little country? :roll:

'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

"Each Time" is indeed a beautiful song. The last time I saw the Searchers live (2006 at the Rams Head in Annapolis MD) they did a very nice, slightly heavier version of it.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

This was the first song Searchers used a 12 string on song been covered by many artists.

Some of you may be surprised by this version.

Ok guys calm down!
Last edited by royclough on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Cheri, you're right about Each Time - great! that's the real Searchers sound to me (the word you were looking for at 1:35 is "bridge", I think :) )
Love the Pam Tillis version of Walk In The Room, as well.
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

Each Time is as you say Cheri, a lovely song and I love Mike's voice. He was good at hitting those high notes! :D

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”