John switches to lead guitar

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
wrd

John switches to lead guitar

Post by wrd »

Mike and John are great guitarists in their own right. I know Mike was considered the lead guitarist in the beginning and maybe through most of their early and mid hits. Then I understand John began to assume the lead guitarist roll. Why did they decide to make the switch and when did it actual occur? I believe Mike continued his use of the 12 string but John was now the lead guitarist.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Re: John switches to lead guitar

Post by nick_allen »

Let me start with the disclaimer that I have zero knowledge of the inner workings and background history of the Searchers (I've got Frank Allen's book, but haven't read it yet). But if Mike wanted to play 12-string, and didn't want to carry two guitars all the time, there are some songs/guitar parts in which the lead is just not suited to a 12-string. "Suzie Q", "Shaking All Over", most Chuck Berry leads, all come to mind as not working that well with a 12-string. There is a clip somewhere of George Harrison doing "Roll Over Beethoven" with a 12-string, and you can tell he's struggling...
So if Mike was playing 12 all the time, it would have been natural for him to hand over the lead parts on some songs to John.
Just my thoughts...
wrd

Post by wrd »

Hi Nick. Your observation seems logical. Its a bear to haul around alot of gear. Maybe Mike, upon getting his 12 string and realizing it's become the guitar voice for the group, decided to stay with it and let John take over the typical 6 string solo's. I've had several Ric 360/12's and they are definitely a specialized guitar.

I really like both Mike and John's guitar styles. They complement each other and their songs so well.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I have noticed, in different vid clips that both John and Mike played 12 string (not at the same time). And both extremely good at it!!

Historically, I thought it was Mike who played the 12 string, but indeed, they did switch off.

I thought Lead Guitar was playing 'individual notes using the guitar strings' (as opposed to 'playing chords/strumming across all the strings" (I apologize for not expressing myself well); and that the other guitar parts were "rythym guitar" (playing chords/strumming via 6 string guitar), and then 'bass guitar' playing the 4 bass strings individually or maybe even strumming as needed. Using my understanding, a 12 string would be playing individual notes (i.e. the intro to Mr. Tambourine Man.

Using my understanding, I see George Harrison as Lead Guitarist; Macca as Bass, and JL as Rythym.

Would somebody here be able to clarify how the Searchers got their jingle jangle sound -- was it from the 12 string guitar, 6 string, or the combo of both?

I actually try to understand the parts of the music, because it's a beautiful puzzle that has come together when it is complete.

It will amaze me, till the day I die, that musicians can write a song, arrange it in such a way using beautiful sounds from their instruments, and touch my heart in a way that the spoken voice cannot. Every one who helps put that puzzle together is a totally gifted.

Thanks for any comments/clarification.

Cheri
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Cheri,

You have it right pretty much as the Beatles are concerned, though they would occasionally switch off; John played lead on "You Can't Do That" and Paul did the lead breaks on "Taxman". I assume the Searchers would have done the same thing every now and again, but during their most successful period Mike was the official lead guitarist. My impression is that John took over the lead guitar around the time of the Sire albums (1979-80) but I would defer to Roy on this. I know when I saw them in 1984 and later in 1985 John was clearly playing lead. I've always wondered if this wasn't one of the reasons Mike ended up leaving.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”