SCARF/Ricktoberfest® 2010 So Cal Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

A little Pink Floyd contingent at SCARF. Some Pink Floyd tunes from "The Wall" .... first Scotty J's band ProgKnowSys does their great version of "Young Lust".

The second video is ProgKnowSys being joined by guitarists Vito and Rich for "Comfortably Numb." ProgKnowSys drummer Paul, and Scotty handle the two part vocals in Comfortably Numb and Rich takes the first solo with his Turq 650 Atlantis and Vito handles the extended, finale solo with his FG 360.

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: SCARF/Ricktoberfest® 2010 So Cal Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Post by JakeK »

Oh Shin, there are videos of me! I'd like to see some vids of Byrds Collective if you have them, Rich.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

The next two in the pipeline for uploading are While My Guitar Gently Weeps and All the Day and All of the Night .... :)

Oh, and these next songs in the pipeline won't get posted till I get home from work tonight... Sorry ! :( :roll: Because I can't access the camcorder (which is wired into the home computer) while I'm here at work .... I'm going to have to install the camcorder Imagemaker software onto my laptop for uploading via wireless connections, because my home computer takes hours and hours to upload just a few minutes to You Tube.

Hopefully I'll have more video conversion/You Tubing success this weekend :)
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Thanks for posting all of these, Rich! :D I can check out some of the stuff I missed. :) It's a lot of work to edit, balance, and post captions in segments, and then upload the videos. I really appreaciate that you're doing this. I'll bet the other guys do as well! :D

Jake, I used the MXR Dyna Comp again at rehearsal last night. Works great! Nice compresse boost, as I mentioned before. The key to minimizing hiss or getting rid of it with the Dyna Comp is to dial back the "attack" right pot/knob to the 10 or 11 o'clock position, while setting the output kob at the 1, 2, or, 3 o'clock position.

Geat meeting you in person, Jake. Thanks agan for the Dyna Comp. It was very generous of you. It maches my red Convcrse All Stars, and Big Red, quite nicely as well. :) I hope you can make it out next year as well.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I take it the Dyna Comp is better than your old Ibanez Compressor? :wink: I remember before Collin drove me back to the hotel, you tried it out and already seemed to like it more than the Ibanez.

The Dyna Comp is a good alternative to one who doesn't want the Janglebox. It was my main stompbox until Steve F sold me my Janglebox, then it would spend days being unclicked. The night before I flew out, I told my mom to pack it because it was going to you. It's all around proved to be loved more by you than it ever was by me. Best of all, I now have room in my board for a Cry Baby Wah pedal!

I enjoyed meeting you, Paul, as I did meeting everyone. It proved to be the best part of my Los Angeles trip, and a day I'll never forget. I'm already planning for next year, we should try and coordinate it around September/October TV tapings!

Gary's 370/12 Roger McGuinn proved to be one of the guitars I liked best at SCARF. I thought it was a guitar that was loved and cared for with no battle-scars, and finish checking in all the right places. The onboard compressor was the icing on the cake. Nails the tone of all the classic Byrds tracks, and the master volume makes versatility amazing! There were times where I lusted after a McGuinn, but I now know that if I ever want to play a McGuinn, I can come to SCARF and play Gary's (if he's willing to let me)!

But to be fair, all the Rics present were outstanding guitars that were beautifully crafted and taken care of. I used to go to International Vintage Guitars and see one Ric every two months, C&M Music Center that's had three modern Rics on the wall that nobody touched or wants to touch since '09, then you add the 660/12TP, 325V63, '03 360/12, the broken 1997 (that WILL be fixed!), 1997SPC that I all used to own, and finish off with my current 1997 and 360/12V64 and that was how many Rics I've seen in my entire life since 2004 until October 15, 2010 (Norman's had a boatload, too). SCARF was the most fun I've ever had and you people get my music and music-related jokes that only about two people in my regular life seem to get (and they are keyboardists).
8mileshigher

Re:

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote:Thanks for posting all of these, Rich! :D I can check out some of the stuff I missed. :) It's a lot of work to edit, balance, and post captions in segments, and then upload the videos. I really appreaciate that you're doing this. I'll bet the other guys do as well! :D
You're welcome ! I'l try and post a variety of You Tubes from all aspects of the Jam, from different times of the day to hopefully give coverage to lots of the Jammers and the wide variety of music that was played. I apologize in advance :( :? that I don't have any video from the Surf set, which opened the show, as I was spending the first hour or so, trying to figure out how to correctly shoot video without accidently deleting stuff on the camera. :oops: :oops: Sorry, I didn't have a cameraman in tow for SCARF :roll: Later on Brian and Tammie helped shoot some of the video and our thanks to them ! :wink:
JakeK wrote: I'd like to see some vids of Byrds Collective if you have them, Rich.
Yeah Jake, we've got a couple of vids with 3/5 of The Byrds Collective and you, Skip and Tom performing several numbers. The Byrds set vids and Rockabilly set are still on the camcorder, to get converted to uploadable formats. Maybe this weekend..... There's several vids with you and/or Skip with other Jammers throughout the afternoon.

As mentioned the next couple of You Tubes in the pipeline will be Jake and Friends doing Guitar Gently Weeps and the Kinks followed by a couple of tunes from Joey's Blues Band.

Jake, you'll be the next sensation on You Tube 8) 8) after this and the college girls will be lining up for autographs ! :wink:
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Re:

Post by JakeK »

8mileshigher wrote:
paologregorio wrote:Thanks for posting all of these, Rich! :D I can check out some of the stuff I missed. :) It's a lot of work to edit, balance, and post captions in segments, and then upload the videos. I really appreaciate that you're doing this. I'll bet the other guys do as well! :D
You're welcome ! I'l try and post a variety of You Tubes from all aspects of the Jam, from different times of the day to hopefully give coverage to lots of the Jammers and the wide variety of music that was played. I apologize in advance :( :? that I don't have any video from the Surf set, which opened the show, as I was spending the first hour or so, trying to figure out how to correctly shoot video without accidently deleting stuff on the camera. :oops: :oops: Sorry, I didn't have a cameraman in tow for SCARF :roll: Later on Brian and Tammie helped shoot some of the video and our thanks to them ! :wink:
JakeK wrote: I'd like to see some vids of Byrds Collective if you have them, Rich.
Yeah Jake, we've got a couple of vids with 3/5 of The Byrds Collective and you, Skip, Tom doing several numbers. The Byrds set vids and Rockabilly set are still on the camcorder, to get converted to uploadable formats. Maybe this weekend..... There's several vids with you and/or Skip with other Jammers throughout the afternoon.

As mentioned the next couple of You Tubes in the pipeline will be Jake and Friends doing Guitar Gently Weeps and the Kinks followed by a couple of tunes from Joey's Blues Band.

Jake, you'll be the next sensation on You Tube 8) 8) after this and the college girls will be lining up for autographs ! :wink:
I have footage my mom shot of "It's All Over Now", "Won't Back Down" and "Refugee" which my keyboard friend, Alex, my cousin Marcus and I all watched together. Alex loved the sound of the keyboards on the side of the stage and loved the addition of Byrds-sounding 12-strings on IAON, while Marcus noted that "Refugee" sounded like the first time Tom and the band ever played the song onstage (Dec. 31, 1978)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

OK, everybody's been wanting to know about Jake these last few years on the Forum ..... :) here he is doing a fine performance to open this segment of the jam with While My Guitar Gently Weeps and the Kink's All the Day and All of the Night . With Collin on lead guitar, Paul S on the drums, Rich and Steve on guitars, Paulie and Skip helping on Kink's harmony vocals and ProgKnowsys adding keyboards and guitar.... 8)

More of Jake's jamming to come on some later You Tube postings

Here's the Kink's All the Day and All of the Night, the second number performed... nice little guitar solo by Collin

8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's a couple of numbers performed by Joey's Blues band with Vito sitting in on lead guitar. SCARF/Ricktoberfest® presents The Blues Fellowship -

and slowing it down for an Eric Clapton tune ---

8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

What would a Rickenbacker Jam Session be without a set of Byrds music ? We are fortunate to have several members of The Byrds Collective tribute band http://www.thebyrdscollective.com/ as Forum members and they are happy to come out and play some favorite songs and jam with fellow enthusiasts. Here's 3/5 of The Byrds Collective (Dave,drums Pat MG 4001 and Mark MG 370-12) on stage with Skip on the left with the FG 330-12, Tom on vocals and tambourine and Jake playing the Roger McGuinn Limited Edition signature model on the right hand side.

These are real good harmonies --- considering these jammers never rehearsed !!!
Here's their first number:

And here's Mr. Tambourine Man --- apologies that we missed filming the "intro" to the song....
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Wow, sounds cool! Tom, we're going to volunteer you for lead vocal duties more often! Great job, guys! :D
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's a continuation of the set with 3/5 of The Byrds Collective and friends doing Mr. Spaceman and So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star.... Nice guitar work and vocals on Rock and Roll Star, Mark !

And some "Thank You's" ---
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Thanks for posting those, Rich. You guys really had a good time, I know.
JimK
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here's a couple from the Rockabilly set or "Rickabilly" set with Skip backed up by Dave, Pat and Mark, as The Maple Glows with a MG 381v69, MG 4001 and MG 370-12.

FIrst is Johnny Cash with a little Pete Townsend thrown in

And a nice version of the Chris Isaak song "Wicked Game" ...apologies that we missed filming the intro to the song.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Rich, it looks like you've been very busy getting these vids viewable for us. Thanks! :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”