octagon

Beauty and the (Gretsch)Beast

Post by octagon »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Beauty and the (Gretsch)Beast

Post by jingle_jangle »

No comparison, Mitch...

The Rick just looks...right (as do most Rick shapes!).

The Gretsch looks like a boxing glove that got stuck under a steam roller. Not a pretty shape.

The best and most timeless guitar shapes seem to be so natural and "unforced"--and the BST is one of the most forced ones ever conceived.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Haha,thanks Paul! Yeah,not pretty.I just bought it because it was cheap and I am a big fan of Kim Shattuck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You know, without the Bigsby and a full guard the Gretsch would look much nicer. Now how about discussing the differences in tone, Mitch.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

octagon wrote:Haha,thanks Paul! Yeah,not pretty.I just bought it because it was cheap and I am a big fan of Kim Shattuck.
Oh, cool. Kenny Howes and I both know Kim. I first met Kim way back when she was a Pandora in the 80s, which was when I also met her fellow bandmate, drummer Roy Mcdonals, who also drums for Redd Kross. I bumped into Roy randomly hen Smiling face down was on the shuttle bus from the parking lot to the terminal, and Roy got on a the next stop in the lot. How random! :lol:
octagon

Post by octagon »

Wow! I love all those bands. I used to work at a record store in the 80's and we used to sell all the records because my boss was in a "paisley underground" band(The Not Quite) I used have the first Pandora's album with Kim on it. I saw the Muffs a bunch of times when they played at 1st ave in Minneapolis.What an awesome band.
octagon

Post by octagon »

admin wrote:You know, without the Bigsby and a full guard the Gretsch would look much nicer. Now how about discussing the differences in tone, Mitch.
Thanks Peter. I am not good at critiquing guitar sounds without using useless generalities like "jangly" and "crunchy". I figure you have a good idea already what the electro sounds like but I will post 2 vids of the Gretsch BST 1000 that give some idea what it sounds. I really like the Dimarzio pickups.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

That 425 all the way. Ric's best design since the 900.
Zurdo

Post by Zurdo »

never mind the geetars, can we discuss the players ? :mrgreen:
Rickenbacker 370-12 1966, Hofner 500/1 1966, Gibson ES-150 DCW 1970,
Vox Viscount 1967, Vox Series 90 1969. Yamaha PSR-9000 Midi Sequencer Arranger 2000
octagon

Post by octagon »

Zurdo wrote:never mind the geetars, can we discuss the players ? :mrgreen:
:lol:
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

I bought a BST 1000 new in 1980. It was an OK guitar, but had about as much sex-appeal as a Yamaha electric. I think Gretsch was blowing these out the door back at the bitter end of the Booneville, Arkansas factory. Gretsch had a lot of dubious designs back then, like the Broadkaster solidbodies and the Committee guitar and bass (never did figure out who the committee was!) Starting with the Super Chet/Deluxe Chet, they thought they had come up with a new classic body shape- the "cutaway-and-a-half". This design feature was carried over to their Super Axe/Atkins Axe and Beast series guitars. There seemed to be a trend at Gretsch late in the Baldwin era to do away with their classic features, starting with the famous (and tremendously cool) "T-Roof Logo". With the Beasts, they used a new funky-looking Gretsch logo, horrible Quan-styled Badass bridge knockoff and cheesy overseas humbuckers. Some BST 1000s had DiMarzios, but to me, a BST 1000 with DiMarzios is kind of like a teenager adding cragar mag wheels to his hand-me-down AMC Ambassador. My BST 1000 actually served me well in one respect, I was able to use it as a trade-in for a Fender Super Reverb :D
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
octagon

Post by octagon »

Oh well,I only paid $280 for the Beast.

fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

octagon wrote:Oh well,I only paid $280 for the Beast.

Heck, the cool Bigsby alone is worth the price! Seriously, These are good utility guitars and the necks on all I've ever played are fine.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

How long have you had your Park?
octagon

Post by octagon »

johneek wrote:How long have you had your Park?
Thanks for the posts. I found the Park G-10 on Ebay last month for $9.99 BIN. It's a '93.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”