Matching 2X12,

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fidopunk

Matching 2X12,

Post by fidopunk »

Just as a friendly FYI as I know matching Rickenbacker 2X12's are impossible to find: I too have been on the hunt for a 2X12 that would match my new-to-me B-22 head (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=396521).

After some searching and some requests for tolex and grill cloth, I found that Lopo Line (http://www.lopoline.com/home.html) made a real close match. Their silver tolex/silver grill cloth was almost spot on and the width was perfect. I ordered an extra piece of grill cloth so I could re-do the amplifier head for an exact match. I added the new cloth over the original so if in the future I ever wanted to go back to stock it all I would have to do is pull some staples.
Not bad for my first recover:
The customer service people were super, super nice and tolerated my dumb questions politely.
So this is just my unsolicited advert for you guys/gals that are without a cabinet.
Enjoy
Eric.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Matching 2X12,

Post by doctorwho »

That's a nice match! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Have you thought of having a replica box for the head built and covering that with the matching LOPO cloth/tolex? It would be a bit more expensive, but the original condition of your Rick hea'd's cabinet would be preserved entirely.

If you're local to the So Cal area, I can refer you to a custom amp cabinet builder who would do a perfect job.
fidopunk

Post by fidopunk »

Paul,
That's a good suggestion; I hadn't thought about building a new box-- I did consider cutting up a board to upholster just for the grill cloth in case the original composite board disintegrated-- but it wasn't a problem. I don't think a new box is really necessary because after I cleaned up the head with some dish detergent, it removed a ton of cigarette smoke and now the tolex is the same color. It's the same grain, too, so they're absolutely identical.
As far as the concern about damaging it-- I think it's built so well that it shouldn't be an issue. That and I'm not really worried about its condition because the chrome face/white paint labels are corroded and worn off, respectively. The photos make it look like it's a lot better shape than it actually is.
Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Are you planning on gigging with it?
fidopunk

Post by fidopunk »

Yep, I was thinking about it-- seems like I've worked the bugs out and she seems pretty reliable. I'll still bring a backup.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”