Sunn amps

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Sunn amps

Post by bartyclue »

I know this may not be the right forum for this but, I have a chance to buy some Sunn gear. A coliseum 300 bass head and a 2x15 cabinet. The head is Solid state and the cabinet is all original. The equipment is post Fender takeover. I have always thought Sunn was top line stuff but have never owned any. Can anybody make recommendations? I can get the whole setup for aroound $6-700
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Sunn amps

Post by jps »

The Coliseum 300 is not post Fender, IIRC, it is Hartzell era SUNN. Without pics of the cabinet, there is uncertainty to it's era.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:The Coliseum 300 is not post Fender, IIRC, it is Hartzell era SUNN. Without pics of the cabinet, there is uncertainty to it's era.
Attachments
sun2.jpg
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:The Coliseum 300 is not post Fender, IIRC, it is Hartzell era SUNN. Without pics of the cabinet, there is uncertainty to it's era.
Attachments
sun4.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you post pics of the C300? Obviously, the cabinet is Fender era, before they dropped the SUNN band name in favor of Fender. :(
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:Can you post pics of the C300? Obviously, the cabinet is Fender era, before they dropped the SUNN band name in favor of Fender. :(
Yeah... obviously.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Brian,

This may or not be helpful. I have a Sunn Model T head and a Sunn 610 cab that I purchased new in 1975. I actually bought two of these but that is another story. Both are still going strong without any sort of breakdowns or invasive maintenance. I would never consider selling my Sunn gear for anything near the value that you say that you may pay for the combo that you found. I cannot vouch for the Fender era Sunn gear however.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

winston wrote:Brian,

This may or not be helpful. I have a Sunn Model T head and a Sunn 610 cab that I purchased new in 1975. I actually bought two of these but that is another story. Both are still going strong without any sort of breakdowns or invasive maintenance. I would never consider selling my Sunn gear for anything near the value that you say that you may pay for the combo that you found. I cannot vouch for the Fender era Sunn gear however.
Brian thanks for the civil reply. So if the head is pre fender, this is a good deal? What value would you put on your rig if i may ask?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bartyclue wrote:Brian thanks for the civil reply.
Was I not civil? :?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jeff I believe that you were civil.

Brian,

The Model T head alone IIRC is worth about $1200.00.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:
bartyclue wrote:Brian thanks for the civil reply.
Was I not civil? :?

Ok civil may not be the right word.. a little condescending perhaps?. I asked the question in the 1st place because I didn't know. Your response seemed like I was wasting your time or something. Maybe I am completely wrong, if I am I apologize.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I was being sincere. I thought I was being helpful, sorry if it came across any other way. :)
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:I was being sincere. I thought I was being helpful, sorry if it came across any other way. :)

No apology nescessary. Sometimes the written word..doesnt always come across right.
kaleb2470

Post by kaleb2470 »

I want a big 2x15 sunn cabinet with an ampeg head 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

2000S? I used to have a Sorado cabinet that I put Eminence Deltas in, great sounding cabinet, although it is smaller than the 2000S cabinet, which is huge!. A friend has it now and uses a Skunkworks SVT with it. Chris? You here?

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”