Wow..some OLD YES VIDEO

Post by ajish4 »

And WHAT is on Chris' RM's neck?

WEIRD.

BUT SO COOL!
wayang

Re: Wow..some OLD YES VIDEO

Post by wayang »

Wow..stellar clip, Tony...thanks for posting. That's a nice old Rick Banks is playing, too...and it looks like the backup Fender bass was standing at the ready as well. Great vocals, as always.

Of course, my attention inevitably gets drawn to the best drummer ever to dabble in rock. Notice the shirt Bill's wearing: "NO". Ah, Bruford...ever the contrarian. Shades of what was to come for his career.

It casts me as an old f*rt to say it, I know, but I miss the days when boys had long hair and could actually play their instruments.
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks Tony, one of my faves from that period. I love that French video! Matter of fact I was in a band that covered that song - a very fun tune to play!! I think the subject of the thing on the bass headstock went around years ago... one explanation, as I recall, was a clip to keep strings from popping off the nut... something about the angle (or non-existent angle) of the headstock....
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Even though I've seen this clip quite a few times, I too just noticed the NO on Bill's shirt. :lol:

Thanks for the reminder Tony.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Cool!
I agree about Billy B! And such a full drum set for the time. Thanks, so much!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

things i noticed...the wehrmacht was in the audience just as the girls anounced the band, kaye and anderson seem under the influence ...squire's instrument curly cord seems very short.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

thanks for posting that one,Tony! i have seen it before (and beyond) but it remains one of my favorites,one of the few videos captured of the "original" band...on a similar subject, i saw the pete banks/ambrosia tour was cancelled,too bad,that could have been really cool....
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I didn't even know of that (canceled) tour. I saw Ambrosia back up The Strawbs in 1977. Excellent performance. The crowd was a bit rough on Ambrosia though...typical East coast (NJ) audience.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

yes,pete had posted tour dates,etc on his website,the idea was that he was going to play songs from the first 2 yes lps,and possibly other "surprises", with ambrosia backing him. i was getting pumped about it because he had posted dates in portland and san fran as strong possiblities. i had only thought of ambrosia from their adult contemporary songs,but later found out they are quite a great proggy (in a mellow los angelos sort of way) band....
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes, their good songs generally never saw radio time. And Alan Parsons used two of the guys for "Tales of Mystery & Imagination." Very talented folks.
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

Thanks! hadn't seen this before, love the song though, some great harmonies on Squire's part. I'd also like to know whats on the neck of his bass..
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It looks like a clamp or some such to hold the broken headstock on the neck.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

LOL...

Forgot about this one!!!!!

Yep, I too missed the "NO" on Bill's' shirt! :)
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

mad_phingers wrote:Thanks! hadn't seen this before, love the song though, some great harmonies on Squire's part. I'd also like to know whats on the neck of his bass..
Great harmonies?
Boy Howdy!
I thought I understood how great Squire's harmonies were but recently I have been listening even more closely to early Yes and Fish Out of Water...I cannot quite comprehend how perfect and complex his sense of harmony & timing are. I just cannot wrap my head around it. And of course Howe is part of that combo on Yes's harmonies...a very important part. But Squire is the MAN!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

stephen-welcome to the forum! if you haven't heard it,you should check out Chris's swiss choir christmas album for some more of his awesome vocal work-it is really a great album,with some fantastic chorale work,which was the basis for Chris' musical upbringing.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”