New poll...worlds top 25 Greatest bassists....CS #14

The genius of Chris Squire
scottpro1969
Intermediate Member

Re: New poll...worlds top 25 Greatest bassists....CS #14

Post by scottpro1969 »

It's a travesty that Squire is at 14. I'm actually surprised that Geddy is #2. These stupid polls get it right as much as the R&R HOF does....stupid, just plain stupid.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Polls are polls... Chris is Chris.

Miguel
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

miguelbass wrote:Polls are polls... Chris is Chris.

Miguel
Right on! Perfect answer! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ram

Post by ram »

Miguel
Miguel, succinctly put!

To elaborate a little if I may... All the names mentioned are one of a kind! To say John Paul Jones is better than say Stanley Clark is well, a preference. Both have some very good chops and some brilliant works. But they are their own thing there is no one who really sounds like Chris or John Entwhistle... they are originals.... one of a kinds. If given the same poll two days running my thoughts might be different - quit different depending on what I was doing or listening to. Not sure if the polls are worth anything or not but I usually don't participate.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
bassically good girl

Post by bassically good girl »

Hey !! Where are Jim Boyle and Tony Cabibe in this poll ???? :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

bassically good girl wrote:Hey !! Where are Jim Boyle and Tony Cabibe in this poll ???? :lol:
Writing a commentary just like the rest of us :wink:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

:lol:
harrek

Post by harrek »

Miguel
An excellent response!! :D

And my 2 cents worth on this. I hate these sort of polls. I don't like when people ask me to 'rate' my favorite players.
I'm more than happy to list the people I really enjoy and who got me playing bass. But to put them in any sort of order
is just not worth it. They are all great, they all do something incredible with the instrument, and they are all masters.
I'm just not going to sit and try to put them in any sort of order. Perhaps it should have just been a list of no set order
and not a ranked poll.

And also if it was a bunch of younger players out there voting, it was quite interesting to see someone like Phil Lynott
in there. He would have certainly made my list for his bass playing let alone his singing while playing. And the great
songs he crafted.

Having said that, Chris' spot is a crime. But there are alot of crimes in that last I think. :?
pekka

Post by pekka »

What...no Doug Rauch!!!??? I'll cancel my subscription. :wink:
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Some good players in there, regardless of the order. One wonders if anyone remembers:

Charles Mingus
Scott LaFaro
Paul Chambers
Sam Jones
Christian McBride
Gary Karr
Serge Kousevitsky
Domenico Dragonetti (Beethoven worte his hardest bass parts just because he existed. All the other players groused).

I would submit that any one of these bassists could blow the freaking doors off of anyone on the list, if they actually cared to do so. Mingus could do more with one finger (choose which hand) than all of them. Gary Karr could do more with a fretless ukelele and the tip of his tongue. SIlly, blind-sighted, neo-idiot poll. Bass began in 1960, right?
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

bassically good girl wrote:Hey !! Where are Jim Boyle and Tony Cabibe in this poll ???? :lol:
Still laughing at the results of the poll! :oops: :lol:
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

I would like to add that my post above was, in no way, intended to minimize my respect for or to diminish the impact that Chris Squire has had on the lexicon that is bass. He's one of the main influences for me; not so much in terms of technique, but in terms of tone, melody and an aggressive approach to bass. What I was meaning to get across was that, no matter who was on or off that poll list, and regardless of their position, it was heavily skewed toward music that has only been listened to for the past 50-odd years and played by musicians more or less in the rock field.

The title of the poll indicated that it would reveal the best bass players in the world. It neglected to mention that it confined itself to a genre that omits some of the best musicians who ever walked the face of the Earth. I would agree that Chris Squire deserves mention in that realm. Whether #14 or not, where are the others?
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
Blackstar4003

Post by Blackstar4003 »

Chris and his sound were enormously influential on countless players. I love all these bass payers though. Some for their style and technique, others simply for their sound.

I do believe Stu Hamm should probably be on that list somewhere as well.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”