Siberian Khatru inspired by a very special meeting

The genius of Chris Squire
mad_phingers

Siberian Khatru inspired by a very special meeting

Post by mad_phingers »

Hello all,

I am relatively new here, and please believe me when I say that I am not one to brag, but I have a story that I would love to share with fellow Squire worshipers!

I am in a band (Bad City) and we recently toured with Slash and played 2 shows at the HoB in Hollywood. During my time in Hollywood, the band and I were sitting at the Rainbow Bar & Grill enjoying some drinks when someone caught my eye. Sitting in a booth about 10 feet away from me was Sir Squire with who I assumed were some of his family! Obviously, I lost my breath and almost had a stroke. I didn't want to be that creepy, annoying fan who doesn't understand when he/she is not welcome, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to at least shake the hand of my hero, and favorite player of all time. So basically I, very nervously, approached his table and in 4 seconds managed to squeeze out this sentence "Mr. Squire, sorrytobotheryou, butIamabassplayerandyouareaheroofmine, Ijustwanttoshakeyourhand, thankyouenjoyyourmeal" GASSSSPPP. And I ran out, hahaha... It took me a couple days to realize what had happened.

Anyways, once I got home, I got inspired to record the bass part to Siberian Khatru, and I would love to share it with you. A HUGE thanks to 'miguelbass' for his transcription on youtube that helped me get through some of the rougher parts; I really enjoy watching your videos man! And I hope there are no repercussions for using my Sterling instead of my 4003, the 4003 is tired from touring and also down-tuned a whole step so...

http://www.youtube.com/user/pwrtch#p/a/u/1/OYU8rIWp3cI

And here is a picture of me sizing up Chris Squire's hand out front of the guitar center in Hollywood:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: Siberian Khatru inspired by a very special meeting

Post by cheyenne »

Cool story. I couldnt even imagine a situation like that. I would be the exact same way. :D

Great playing by the way! You have a very natural funky pick technique. sounds great. I like the bass as well. :D
"Knowledge is Power"
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

Thanks Scott!
ram

Post by ram »

Jake great story!! Far more articulate than I think I would have been. Like your stule as well… and thanks for sharing the Khatru it was fun!!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

+1 on all accounts. Meeting Chris is indeed daunting, though he is such a nice and gracious person.
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am sure he is a very pleasant guy, I didn't have time to find out though, I don't even think he realized what had happened until I was out the door! :O)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

the video (and story) were great! i got to meet the band once backstage on the talk tour,and found mr rabin and alan to be really charming guys. when chris and jon appeared a bit later,they were mobbed a bit,and i did manage to get chris' signature on my "fish" cd,but could barely squeak out my request,chris just took it in stride,and was also really relaxed and pleasant with the fans in general....i think jon was scared off.....you have a great feel on "khatru",there......
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Great story, Jake, even better video. Last year I did a study of "Yours is no disgrace" and "Heart of the sunrise", SK is possibly next on the list. Your video (along with Miguel's, of course) will be quite helpful.

Just curious, did you happen to notice if Trevor Horn was sitting with Chris at the time??? 8)
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

just_bassics wrote:Great story, Jake, even better video. Just curious, did you happen to notice if Trevor Horn was sitting with Chris at the time??? 8)
Thanks! No, he was not haha. I think he was with his wife and possibly daughter Xilan? He was spoonfeeding a child right before I approached him.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yep, that's Xi!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Cool Khatru!!! - nice to know my clips dis help, I'm late on the reply but I had come across your cover on YT! Thanks for sharing and Merry Xmas! :) Ho Ho Ho :)

Miguel

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”