Going from grovers back to klusons on a a 330

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

egosheep
Intermediate Member

Going from grovers back to klusons on a a 330

Post by egosheep »

I'm getting an '82 330 JG soon, and the tuners were changed to Grovers. Is it possible to convert these holes back to the smaller kluson bushing size? Would this require wood plugs and refinishing the headstock?
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
collin

Re: Going from grovers back to klusons on a a 330

Post by collin »

Nope---not a problem at all.

You need "conversion bushings"

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_3457 ... ROOGLEFEED

These drop right into the 3/8" hole left by the Grovers, and the Klusons will cover up 99% of the old footprint (you may only have the single screwhole visible).
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Thanks Collin! My main concern was on the front face of the headstock. When I went from Schallers to Klusons on my '09 330, the bushings were bigger than the kluson ones and left imprints in the JG(which had to be sanded down and refinished with clear). Are the grovers the same, or do they have small front bushings and just the bigger routed out backside?
collin

Post by collin »

There are lots of different Grovers over the years---so it really depends.

They are a straight 3/8" hole all the way through, and sometimes people overtighten the top nut/bushing so that it makes an imprint into the guitar face...sometimes you might get lucky and it won't have an imprint, but gotta check.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

egosheep wrote:I'm getting an '82 330 JG soon, and the tuners were changed to Grovers. Is it possible to convert these holes back to the smaller kluson bushing size? Would this require wood plugs and refinishing the headstock?

Congrats on the cool guitar... Please post some pics when you get the Klusons back in..

One question though

WC xxx???
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
egosheep wrote:I'm getting an '82 330 JG soon, and the tuners were changed to Grovers. Is it possible to convert these holes back to the smaller kluson bushing size? Would this require wood plugs and refinishing the headstock?

Congrats on the cool guitar... Please post some pics when you get the Klusons back in..

One question though

WC xxx???
You mean the serial?? I don't know yet! I'm visiting Toronto, the guitar is in Kentucky, I'll be picking it up on my way back to Atlanta on Wed. I will post photos etc as soon as I get it back.

This is around the same time frame as Johnny Marr's classic 330JG, which was either an '82 or an '83(he has said both years in different interviews). I'm a huge Smiths fan so this is the holy grail for me! Collin's 1993 would be the other one, heh. :)
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

http://www.vintagecloneparts.com/products/us_list.html
than scroll to the bottom for conversion bushings

or the same thing from tone pros (pickguardian does their things) & it will do the same and look more like the real thing - i am half positive that you can get tone pros set of kluson replicas with those conversion bushings too - and that is worth it for the functionality. the difference from old klusons is wast one.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

grazioso wrote:http://www.vintagecloneparts.com/products/us_list.html
than scroll to the bottom for conversion bushings

or the same thing from tone pros (pickguardian does their things) & it will do the same and look more like the real thing - i am half positive that you can get tone pros set of kluson replicas with those conversion bushings too - and that is worth it for the functionality. the difference from old klusons is wast one.
I'm going to put grovers on it like these here. So I'll have to check and see what bushings will work. I don't have the guitar yet, I'll post photos when I get it.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”