IT'SA MOSRICKENRITEBACKER!

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

IT'SA MOSRICKENRITEBACKER!

Post by jingle_jangle »

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-16569.htm

Let's see...we'll borrow this from column "R", and this from column "M"...
electrofaro

Re: IT'SA MOSRICKENRITEBACKER!

Post by electrofaro »

Looks like something you get if you have a photo-editing programme come up with the average of two pictures... this is warped! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Took these at NAMM 2010.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

In the never-ending search for "new", they crib from "old" sources and the result is inevitably "UGLY"!
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Hmm....similar to the Kustom electrics of the late '60s/early '70s,

but the extra "Mosritesque" touches (German carve, pickup placement) make it crass..
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I have come to the conclusion that there are very few guitar shapes c/w control/pick guard/pickup configurations that are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye. That guitar in particular Paul looks like it was conceived in a house of horror at a carny.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:I have come to the conclusion that there are very few guitar shapes c/w control/pick guard/pickup configurations that are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye. That guitar in particular Paul looks like it was conceived in a house of horror at a carny.
Not only that, but there's nothing that can be done anymore to make the electric guitar different. It has all been done. Or so it seems to me.
JimK
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jimk wrote:
winston wrote:I have come to the conclusion that there are very few guitar shapes c/w control/pick guard/pickup configurations that are aesthetically pleasing to the human eye. That guitar in particular Paul looks like it was conceived in a house of horror at a carny.
Not only that, but there's nothing that can be done anymore to make the electric guitar different. It has all been done. Or so it seems to me.
JimK
I think this is about as "different" as anyone is ever going to get - and it was conceived in the '70s:
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

jps wrote:Took these at NAMM 2010.
Do you think that pickguard has enough screws? I think it could use 4 or 5 more.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There's lots of "different" but a lot of it moves out of the musical instrument area, and into sound sculpture. The rest of "different" is at best forgettable.

The differences between the Kustom and this Richmond abomination are subtle, but the earlier design is tighter. The Kustom's horns are symmetrical, and the guard/control plate is a nice shape. Too bad about the nasty knob placement, though...

I tend to agree with Brian--but I wonder if it's because we were spoiled early on by Leo's gems and the early work of Rossmeisl and Paul Barth. Then there's the anonymous soul who penned the SG, too. And Semie Moseley's original Ventures model Mosrite.

How does one earn a nickname like "Semie", anyway?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

antipodean wrote:
jimk wrote:
JimK
I think this is about as "different" as anyone is ever going to get - and it was conceived in the '70s:
It was back in the day, yes. This impresses me more as an design novelty rather than a serious guitar.
JimK
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

jingle_jangle wrote:How does one earn a nickname like "Semie", anyway?
Possibly, because he only got it "right" half the time...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

wints wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:How does one earn a nickname like "Semie", anyway?
Possibly, because he only got it "right" half the time...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it a nickname?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jfine
Professional Player

Post by jfine »

Semie, apparently, was Moseley's real name. He was from Oklahoma, part Cherokee, and I've heard that he was named after his grandfather, maybe? who was named Semion, and I think Semion was an early governor of Oklahoma--not sure about that. Semie's brother, Andy, was named after a relative too, and their names were both Andy, not Andrew. My information comes from a book on the Ventures, called "Walk Don't Run"--I don't have it in front of me, which is why I'm not sure about all the details.
I've got to agree about that Richmond guitar--that thing's UGLY. Rickenbackers look great, so do Mosrites, but that Richmond looks like it was designed by someone with no aesthetic sense. Richmond's a division of Godin, and they usually turn out some nice-looking guitars, so what happened here? Design by committee? We saw how well that worked for Gretsch back in the late-'70's...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”