original song by me (feat. 4001CS and 360)

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

original song by me (feat. 4001CS and 360)

Post by miguelbass »

Hello friends,

I would like to share with you my new song - although this is not exactly related to Chris and/or Yes, it features the Ric 4001 CS and most of you know me from this sweet spot of Rickresource...
I will, as usual, add the clip to the Act Naturally thread as well. Hope you like it!

Thanks for watching - Miguel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35kFtacLelM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35kFtacLelM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35kFtacLelM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
ram

Re: original song by me (feat. 4001CS and 360)

Post by ram »

Well done Miguel! Enjoyed the ‘chrome’ vocals. I noticed that there were some comments comparing it to a couple of different artists… while those comparisons may be true, I think I’d call it very Miguel-ish. Cool tune. Thanks for sharing!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

+1! 8) Great stuff there, thanks for posting it! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ram

Post by ram »

Miguel I also have to add... I think this is a very clever video. I think you NEED to do some more! But that is just what I think.....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Agreed, VERY clever video. Love the opening energy, the whole composition with the stylistic changes, and the HARMONIES. Very nice, Miguel!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thank you so much Tom, John and CJ! By the way I just noticed how Tom's quote fits quite appropriately in the song's lyrics :)

I would take this opportunity to ask you for some "more cowbell" comments about how to improve the mix... On YouTube I was told that it might need some tweaking (one viewer suggested the guitar was too distorted and the chords were less clear, other said maybe too much cymbals. This is because I have received some messages saying they would be happy to get this song in a commercial download format (ex: iTunes).

While we're at it ... that is another - touchier subject, that I would like to hear your opinion. I never intended (and I don't have any aspirations) of making a fortune with my music. I make just what I want and what I like. For paying my expenses I am working in electronics - MSc, waiting for a chance to start my PhD... my day job is at the university, where I am a researcher for the control and data acquisition team (I design hardware)... so in a way I am glad that my income doesn't depend on the music, otherwise maybe I had to do something I don't want, musically, especially in a country like mine. I have been in bands here (I still am for adrenaline's sake) but I don't care for the local market or fame. I tried once but it wasn't either interesting or rewarding... my tastes aren't too oriented for that either... Luckily, with the internet, I found people who appreciate some of the same music I love and who seem to be interested in the music I make - that's enough rewarding already for me at all levels. That's why I started to consider, after some people's suggestions, to think about this "business" perspective as a challenge, and to see where it goes. Mind you, I will always make my beloved bass covers, which are not my copyright - thus unsellable, and some instructional material about bass guitar... and I won't (I can't) produce two original albums a year or even one, since my time is limited... but I'd like to hear your opinion - if it's worth it to put some songs in a downloadable (or physical) commercial format, and, if yes, what would you recommend.

Thanks for reading... and again for listening to my stuff!

Miguel
mad_phingers

Post by mad_phingers »

...blown away.... love the complexity, yet there is still plenty to grab on to if you know what i mean
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Miguel, take what people post about the mix with the knowledge it depends on how they are listening to your song as to how the mix might be improved. If you like the balance when this song is played on decent speakers, then that says a lot. I just gave it a more critical listening, using computer speakers that includes a subwoofer and usualy gives a decent sound. I do not agree the guitar is too distorted to discern chords - I hear it more clearly and the changes. It *might* be a tad low in the mix; maybe that was what the other guy was really hearing. Cymbals - possibly a tad hot in the mix - I'd like to hear the drums a little more. Bass (my instrument of choice) - perfect! :lol:

I have no basis for advising on iTunes or selling your songs. Let me just say if the impetus to tackle this is the challenge, remember you already said you tried this before and it was not interesting or rewarding. You also stated your time is limited, so if producing X amount of music in a time period is a stipulation of selling on a site, that could also become more than you wanted. Not much valid input there from me, I guess.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I just had a chance to listen to this, Miguel. Fantastic! 8)
ram

Post by ram »

Hi Miguel, I gave it a more critical listen as well… essentially I agree with what John said. A thought on the guitar distortion – as I said I agree with John but even if it was too distorted that in itself can be an effect you might want…? You might consider reposting this on the Rickenbacker Recordings By RRF Members: by Mark Walker page in the Forum. You might get some more feedback (pun intended) there. When we do recording stuff, I usually take a ‘finished’ version and play it on all kinds of devices (computer, Ipod, car, surround sound…etc) to get a feel for how it really ‘sounds’.

As to the production stuff… that is a tough call. It all comes down to what it is worth to you. Again the Recordings page might get you some good thoughts on this.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for your attentive comments! I decided for now, to wait a bit more until I make some kind of investment on releasing my stuff other than the way I am doing now. It's mostly a question of time, because as much as I was able to research, it might not be very expensive to register a few songs online, but then it will take some time for paperwork and promoting things properly. And right now I am very happy with the audience that I have, which is basically Youtube (and indirectly - some other sites like Rickresource).

new clip coming soon, that's one for the season :)

Season's greetings!

Miguel
1boominrick

Post by 1boominrick »

Hey Miguel,

Really loved this tune. This is your best work yet. Very intuitive composition. And nice crunch on the bass.

Happy Holidays,

Tom Chambers

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”