Post-NAMM So Cal Mini Con

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Re: Post-NAMM So Cal Mini Con

Post by coolingitdown »

hahaha! Thanks for the laughs, boys! Just the Rick it is then! Well, maybe a tuner too. :)

Rich: Anything Beatles is good. I probably know more of their songs than any other band, and could probably sing lead on some of it. Some of those bass lines are just too tough to sing over though! I also know some Black Sabbath and could sing lead on War Pigs as well, though I know from experience that that would be a tough cover. My band put a lot of hours into getting it ready when we covered it!

And is Backline Studios the one that used to be Sound Arena? It's been a lot of years since I've been there!
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Jonathan, It's possible Backline could have been operated under another name before -- here's their website and some pictures are on the site, that might refresh your memory -

http://www.backlinerehearsals.com/
They are in this small industrial park, about three or so buildings back from the main road, Garden Grove Blvd, although they all have a Garden Grove Blvd address. There is also a street sign that says "Eagle" that is the entrance for this industrial park, but the first several buildings (including Backline in building "H") have the Garden Grove Blvd address nomenclature. We will be in the back of Backline (their Showcase Room) - you can actually park back on that side, and its close to the Showcase Room.

Re song suggestions, I think a few Ricken-jammers could play some Beatles tunes with you ! :D

Oh by the way --- in addition to bringing your Rics -- everybody needs to bring sufficient Guitar Stands as people were borrowing them at SCARF and ended up shortchanging other guy's whose stands they "borrowed."
:roll: :roll: :?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

8mileshigher wrote:Oh by the way --- in addition to bringing your Rics -- everybody needs to bring sufficient Guitar Stands as people were borrowing them at SCARF and ended up shortchanging other guy's whose stands they "borrowed."
I always asked before I touched or borrowed something.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

paologregorio wrote:
coolingitdown wrote:Still in and looking forward to it!

Do we need to bring any other gear, or just the instruments?
First-timers are required to bring a big batch of tollhouse cookies, and give the pizza delivery guy directions when he gets lost on the way to the studio. If Skip can somehow make this one without being served divorce papers, and loses his "church key"-equipped set of keys amongst the ice chests, you're also required to dig around in each ice bucket until you find which one they fell into. ;)

Seriously though, just bring a Rick if you have one, and your enthusiasm! If you have a Wings-era McCartney shag/mullet wig, bring that too; we might try "Band on the Run" or something. . .
Aaaarghhhhh! Yer killin' me Pauley!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

JakeK wrote:
8mileshigher wrote:Oh by the way --- in addition to bringing your Rics -- everybody needs to bring sufficient Guitar Stands as people were borrowing them at SCARF and ended up shortchanging other guy's whose stands they "borrowed."
I always asked before I touched or borrowed something.

Don't worry Jake - not meant for you, nor was it meant as a criticism to anybody. :) Its just that with guitars and basses on stage and in front of the stage and displayed further back in the room, and with all the equipment and with folks moving back and forth to the stage, and guys A-B-ing this guitar with that one, etc. that we can always use a few more guitar stands than the actual instrument count. :wink:

By the way---- are you coming out for the Feb 5th Mini Con or are you going MARF-ing in April ?
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

8mileshigher wrote:By the way---- are you coming out for the Feb 5th Mini Con or are you going MARF-ing in April ?
NEXT YEAR'S SCARF

Or any sort of Mini-Con that's around the October time.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Backline Studios in Garden Grove was formerly called "Sound Arena", but that was about five years back; some of the stands and other gear still have "Sound Arena" or "SA" painted on them. :)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

paologregorio wrote:Backline Studios in Garden Grove was formerly called "Sound Arena", but that was about five years back; some of the stands and other gear still have "Sound Arena" or "SA" painted on them. :)
I used to be in two bands at once, both bands rehearsing there several times a week. I almost had "Sound Arena" or "SA" painted on ME!
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

I'll make sure there are AT LEAST 20 music stands on stage! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

More seriously, If anyone is up to trying "American Girl" by the Heartbreakers, I will make a lot of copies of the chord charts/lyrics.

I think I can say "Oh, Yeah" "All Right" "make it last all night" without screwing it up too much!
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

BuddyDog wrote:More seriously, If anyone is up to trying "American Girl" by the Heartbreakers, I will make a lot of copies of the chord charts/lyrics.

I think I can say "Oh, Yeah" "All Right" "make it last all night" without screwing it up too much!
I'll play on that one if I'm allowed a bit of leeway on the end solo. . . I know the rest pretty much by heart.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

paologregorio wrote:
BuddyDog wrote:More seriously, If anyone is up to trying "American Girl" by the Heartbreakers, I will make a lot of copies of the chord charts/lyrics.

I'll play on that one if I'm allowed a bit of leeway on the end solo. . . I know the rest pretty much by heart.
Arrgh! That hammer/pull lead lick at the end is the only thing stopping me from doing a cover of that song. Slow down, Mike!!!! Very frustrating. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

beatbyrd wrote:
paologregorio wrote:

Arrgh! That hammer/pull lead lick at the end is the only thing stopping me from doing a cover of that song. Slow down, Mike!!!! Very frustrating. Tom
If the lead guitarist in my band can do it so can you. 8) There was an article a few months back in Vintage Guitar magazine on "How Mike Does It"!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

beatbyrd wrote:Arrgh! That hammer/pull lead lick at the end is the only thing stopping me from doing a cover of that song. Slow down, Mike!!!!
I remember watching the video from the Santa Monica Civic Center 1978 with "American Girl" on it. His fingers were moving fast, but he was doing what I believe is called hybrid picking, using his thumb and index finger to hold the pick, and using the rest of his finger to pluck fingerstyle, see for yourself:

8mileshigher

Post-NAMM So Cal Mini Con (Sat Feb 5th)

Post by 8mileshigher »

The who's who for the Saturday Feb 5th Mini Con Ricken Jam at Backline Studios is shaping up to be:

Confirmed
Paul A.
Joey V.
Danotron S.
Scott J. and Spenser J.
Gary C.
Rich F.
Steve F.
Vito F.
Tony S. Vocalist from Small World Band
Jonathan M. (CoolingitDown)
Mike S.
Collin W.
Pat H. (Byrds Collective)
Blues Fellowship - bandmates

Out of town RRFers we’re waiting to hear confirmations from
Ross H.
Paul W.

So Cal guys we’re waiting for confirmations from or still checking their schedules or are Maybees
Tom O’k (BeatByrd)
Henry P. (Gatsby)
Jerry J.
Steve T.
Louis C. (Rickendelic)
Colin N. (Suedehead)
Robert S. Vocalist from The Glendoras
Alberto C (Drums)
Paul S. (Drums)
Mark M. (Byrds Collective)
Dave M. (Fake Croz) Byrds Collective
David T (Datru)
Brian F.
Bob S. (Original 360)
Jim Hitchcock

The "Herding of Cats" continues !!!
Paulie, we need to get our dynamic duo (Paul S and Alberto) confirmed for drums duty .....
Scotty, didn't you also have a drummer friend who wanted to get back into some jamming ?

Any of our NorCal contingent going to come down ?

Joey and Paulie .. any others you've heard from Facebook or other channels ?

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”