8 string bass tuners?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

atomic_punk

8 string bass tuners?

Post by atomic_punk »

Just bought a Dean Rhapsody 8 string bass...love the sound of it but am REALLY not liking the tuners. Anyone know of anyone who makes an 8-string tuner set, or am I going to have to do a set of bass tuners and a set of guitar tuners?
Here's the headstock.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 8 string bass tuners?

Post by jps »

As far as the "bass" tuners go, Hipshot Ultralites (great tuners IMHO) will retrofit directly, assuming those are Gotoh type tuners, which they look to be. Can you post a photo of the back of the headstock to see the "guitar" tuners better? They look to be the current Grover Rotomatics from the looks of the keys, although of the Chinese variety.
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Can do....and they are stamped "Grover" on the back. But they are very prone to slip out of tune. And tuning on an 8-string is even more critical than usual.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

atomic_punk wrote:Can do....and they are stamped "Grover" on the back. But they are very prone to slip out of tune. And tuning on an 8-string is even more critical than usual.
Those cheapo grovers (usually found on epiphones) are fairly horrible. There are gotohs that fit as well as shallers... I prefer the gotohs...

Eden.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There ya' go, Steve, Hipshot Ultralites for the main tuners and Gotohs for the octaves. :D
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Thanks...so I guess I am looking at bass tuners and a set of guitar tuners. Not an 8 string set. Appreciate the help. If anyone has bought them from somewhere and has a linky...I'd appreciate it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have always bought my Ultralite tuners directly from Hipshot; here is a dealer finder for Hipshot.
This is one possible dealer for the Gotohs.

Return to “The Low End”