the Byrds Collective

Those who flock to The Byrds
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

the Byrds Collective

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi. I spoke with Pat, the bass player from the Byrds Collective this morning (we work in the same building in downtown L.A.) and he told me that the band was officially over and done. I hope that he was just kidding around (he does that sometimes). If the news is true, I'm certain that their many fans, both here in SoCal and in all other parts of the internet connected world, will miss them greatly. They were a friendly bunch of people and a great Byrds tribute band. I know there are many others here who share this view. Of course, Pat could always do an 'Emily Latella' and chime in with a "Nevermind!", but he seemed serious about this. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
mcd220

Re: the Byrds Collective

Post by mcd220 »

Oh, that is a shame indeed...and you're right, a nice bunch of fellas, very amiable & personable.

Best, Christian
8mileshigher

The Byrds Collective

Post by 8mileshigher »

Very sorry to hear that. They are great musicians,great personalities and have added a lot to our local gatherings.
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

First I'd like to say thanks to Tom for his support and counseling.

Yes, The Byrds Collective have played their last Mr. Tambourine Man. (Interestingly enough, at the last RRF confluence).
The reasons are not the typical band breakup reasons, in-fighting, egos or lack of commitment etc. In fact, these are the nicest, greatest guys you could every want to play with. We've never had a cross word between us - ever!

It comes down to family and the amount of quality time we spend with them. We started to take off and the gigs were coming in pretty fast. And the time we spent with our families started to suffer. None of us wanted to sacrifice our family time.

Let me make a suggestion, if you have any inkling to start a Byrds Tribute band, DO IT! You'll never have more fun, play greater music or meet any finer group of fans (Byrds fans) in the world. There really is a market for this music out there.

Some of the people I've met through this endeavor come right from this board:

Christian B. - The keeper of all things Byrds. He's not afraid to tell you when you're not playing or singing the right part (and always in the nicest, friendliest way). But when he tells you something is good, it's like getting a pat on the head from Gordon Ramsey.

Rich F. - Our first fan that wasn't related by blood! He's become a very good friend.
Tom O. - Always sharing his musical experience (and his great recordings).
Jim K. - Always a gentleman, and gives great advice.
Melisa B. - Thank you for all the kind words.

And to the RRF guys - Paul A. and Joey V. we always look forward to seeing you guys at the confluence and jams.

- Pat
8mileshigher

The Byrds Collective

Post by 8mileshigher »

To Everything There is a Season .....
Glad to hear it was not a mutiny from stern to bow .....

Maybe you guys can have an occasional reunion performance, at one of our Mini Con Jams ? It would be a tragedy to never experience your four-Ric rendition of Eight Miles High ever again :(

I hope you'll keep The Byrds Collective website running. It's a great endeavor and has wonderful audio and video performances and recordings by the Collective. You guys are a class act, just like the originals.
paologregorio

Re: The Byrds Collective

Post by paologregorio »

8mileshigher wrote:Very sorry to hear that. They are great musicians,great personalities and have added a lot to our local gatherings.
Amen to that. Sad news. I wish everyone the best, and hope we still get to see the gents at the jams. . . and here on the forum, of course! :)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Real sorry to hear the Collective is calling it quits. I want to get out to one of the Left Coast confluences this summer, and I had hoped against hope to be able to sit in with you guys, maybe learn how it's supposed to be done. Best wishes to all.
JimK
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Paul, just try and keep us away :D (From the jams and this board)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Pat,

Instead of being "over and done" why not just take a hiatus like The Eagles did (albeit it a 14 year one). That way the door is always open for a reunion (once or twice a year) :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:Pat,

Instead of being "over and done" why not just take a hiatus like The Eagles did (albeit it a 14 year one). That way the door is always open for a reunion (once or twice a year) :D
Excellent idea!
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

I am sorry to hear about a Byrd tribute band going out.....we need these kind of bands, like the Beatles bands....this is OUR classical music, and it needs to be performed live just as a Beethoven classic would be...... the Byrds and the Beatles were the earthmovers back in the day......the sound of a live band with good vocals and chiming Ricks needs to be heard in the vacuum of modern music now.....and I DO mean vacuum....."country" bands and artists are the only good live music being produced on a successful, mass scale.....there is still art there....and real instruments.....sorry to see the Collective go, hope it is just a rumor. :roll:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

To everyone, thank you for all the words of support and suggestions. Your comments invoked some soul searching on our parts and after not playing Byrds music for a couple of months, it really hit us hard, how much we enjoy playing this music.

So collectively (every post needs it's pun) we decided to give it another go, still keeping our families in mind. We won't play as many shows as before, but it seems that larger venues are in our future! Also, taking a page from Ronn Roberts' (IAMTHEBASSMAN) playbook (after all, it's Super Bowl week) were are going to add to the show, as set comprising of groups that were influenced by the Byrds i.e. Buffalo Springfield, Tom Petty, Beatles, REM etc.

So Rich and Paulie, please put us down for the next Mini-Con (the one after this week's) and we can once again do the worlds biggest Eight Mile High jam.

Thank you all.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

So, is Brett Favre in the band? ;)

Great news!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Pat, I'm sorry to hear the band's split. It was fun jamming with you guys at SCARF. In fact, at the end of "Rock and Roll Star", there's a small clip of you and Mark shaking my hand and telling me thanks for helping out. I'm with Rich, reunite at the RRF Confluences! (if you can) :D

EDIT: Wait...you're back together? I'm confused! :P
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

beatbyrd wrote: Of course, Pat could always do an 'Emily Latella' and chime in with a "Nevermind!", but he seemed serious about this. Tom
Sure enough............ "Nevermind!". Glad that the band is gonna continue. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”