MTM intro makes top 50 list (Rick 12 mentioned!)

Those who flock to The Byrds
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: MTM intro makes top 50 list (Rick 12 mentioned!)

Post by jingle_jangle »

I listened very closely and can't spot any Rick 12 string. Anybody?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Nope. :lol:
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

JimK,

McGuinn also quotes the beginning of "Asturias" when he does "Eight Miles High" on acoustic at his shows. It seems Isaac Albeniz and Andres Segovia have had as much of an influence on his playing as John Coltrane.

Robert
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I could swear I heard Segovia quote some McGuinn when I saw him in the mid '70s. :shock: :mrgreen: :wink:
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:Just when I start thinking my favorite era in rock'n'roll is really old hat, something like this comes along. Nice they listed that.
JimK
Hi Jim---long time, no communiques----i've been off the grid, and got back on today and noticed this thread, and your comment......I get to feeling that way too, except that I believe 1963-1967 was a Holy Grail period for music in ANY millenium......McGuinn masterfully took a riff from another century, and the Rick 12 carried it into history even farther.......you gotta admit....Nashville notwithstanding, there is nothing of any art value being produced in current pop music. Yes, we still have Buddy and Judy Miller, Todd Rundgren, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Steve Earle and other artists still making great music, but it is not in the mainstream.....Taylor Swift and her computer assisted voice and forgetable songs ARE :oops: ......and she is crying all the way to the bank because of MY opinion.....

Ay CARAMBA.......
:roll:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:Nope. :lol:
JimK
Me neither......can' hear one....just a tinkling piano, probably played by Barely Manenough, er, sorry, Barry Manilow...... :oops:

wow....MTM and Valerie Harper were HOT...... :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jimk wrote:Nope. :lol:
JimK
:lol: :lol:

While I was in grad school, an undergrad working in the lab across the hall played for me a recording he had of a 'hard rock' cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song (IIRC it was by a Minneapolis-based band) ... it was a hoot! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
DoubleThink

Post by DoubleThink »

doctorwho wrote: While I was in grad school, an undergrad working in the lab across the hall played for me a recording he had of a 'hard rock' cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song (IIRC it was by a Minneapolis-based band) ... it was a hoot! :)
That would be Hüsker Dü doing "Love Is All Around". Great tune and fun interpretation. Gets 'em dancin' in the aisles!
Rics ... and some other stuff....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hüsker Dü does a great version of Ticket To Ride. 8)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

DoubleThink wrote:
doctorwho wrote: While I was in grad school, an undergrad working in the lab across the hall played for me a recording he had of a 'hard rock' cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song (IIRC it was by a Minneapolis-based band) ... it was a hoot! :)
That would be Hüsker Dü doing "Love Is All Around". Great tune and fun interpretation. Gets 'em dancin' in the aisles!
Thanks, Stefan!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”