McGuinn's Metal Fingerpicks

Those who flock to The Byrds
8mileshigher

Re: McGuinn's Metal Fingerpicks

Post by 8mileshigher »

jimk wrote:Welcome to the RRF, Errapel. Congrats to you and your Byrds tribute band, and enjoy the journey. Once you really get the hang of it, you'll be playing that way quite often.
JimK
+1 Nice to have you on board the RRF, Errapel !
Where are you and your Byrds tribute band located, and what is the band's name ?
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

We are based in Bilbao, Spain (South West Europe).

https://www.facebook.com/TheReByrds

https://twitter.com/therebyrds
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

bvstudios wrote:So is anyone but me having a devil of a time with Roger's picking style??? I flat-picked my various accoustic 12strings for nearly 40 years, but with my new 370/12 I thought I would at least attempt to learn the style with the flatpick and the two metal fingerpicks... (pictures helped. Thanks to jimk) But after many hours of trying, it isn't coming together for me... Oddly, a thumbpick makes a whole lot of difference, and I am progressing that way, but the idea of constraining the index finger seems completely foreign to my brain and it's driving me nuts.

Am I the only one?
I was watching the McGuinn video last night, and I seem to remember that he briefly mentioned that he originally used a thumbpick along with finger picks, but eventually changed. Not sure when he switched, though.

Looking closely at the video, it looks like a lot of the time he's flatpicking, then adds the fingerpicks when he wants embellishment, like on the "Eight Miles High" solo.
guitman
Professional Player

Post by guitman »

As a long time user of fingerpicks for acoustic, Rick 12 and Gretsch...I'm about to say something that is counter-intuitive. Plastic fingerpicks actually produce a harder attack than metal fingerpicks. Metal fingerpicks give a sort of soft "ching" as opposed to a harder "clang" sound. I prefer metal, any brand of nickel silver, .020" guage up to .025" when I can find them. Lately I've been using Dunlop brand. Recently discovered that they are made in brass as well as nickel-silver, though I can't discern a difference in the sound.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - Sprung
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

guitman wrote:... Lately I've been using Dunlop brand. Recently discovered that they are made in brass as well as nickel-silver, though I can't discern a difference in the sound.
I have a set of brass, and several sets of nickel-silver. And I'm with you; I can't tell the difference either.
JimK

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”