New Byrds cover - Thoughts and Words

Those who flock to The Byrds
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted my cover of "Thoughts and Words". It was about time to do a song by "Smiley" (Chris Hillman). As always, constructive comments are welcome. The song is the last one in the list on the Byrds page. Check out "California Dreamin' " (on the Misc. covers page), too. It came out very well.
Here's the link: http://beatbyrd.com/byrds
Thanks. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
kvalois

Re: New Byrds cover - Thoughts and Words

Post by kvalois »

Tom:

Outstanding job!!!! The Rick sounds beautiful--nice and chimey!!!! And, your vocals are great!!!!

Karl :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Nice job, Tom.
JimK
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Yeah, really, really good. This rivals or surpasses your version of "Goin' Back" Tom.

Are any of the rythym guitars on this song capoed at the second and played Am open voicing???

Best, Christian
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

mcd220 wrote:Yeah, really, really good. This rivals or surpasses your version of "Goin' Back" Tom.

Are any of the rythym guitars on this song capoed at the second and played Am open voicing???

Best, Christian
Hi Christian, Yup, both the 360/12 and the Gretsch rhythm guitars were capoed at the second fret. Those were the only two that I used on this one. I really don't know what 'played A minor open voicing' means. The guitars both had standard tuning, if that's what you are asking. The one comment that makes me feel good is the comparison with "Goin' Back". This indicates that the quality of these covers is still getting incrementally better. This song went a heck of a lot easier and faster than "Goin' Back", however. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Tom. Once again, beautiful work! I like how you always capture the spirit of the original while at the same time putting your own spin on things. I've been planning my own Byrds recording project, but I don't think I can match the professional sound (particularly the vocal harmonies and drum patterns) of yours. What kind of recorder and drum machine do you use? Is the guitar run through a Janglebox? Did you record direct?

Robert
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Tom, you do good stuff !!!
It would be great for us Rickaholics if you could itemize the instruments (Rics) you used on this and that track..... when you get time to edit or add to all those Beatbyrd postings !!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, half the fun is learning what techniques and instruments you used on each song, like your mention of the four individual strings played with a steel, and individually edited in, on "Goin' Back" etc.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Folkie wrote:Thanks, Tom. Once again, beautiful work! I like how you always capture the spirit of the original while at the same time putting your own spin on things. I've been planning my own Byrds recording project, but I don't think I can match the professional sound (particularly the vocal harmonies and drum patterns) of yours. What kind of recorder and drum machine do you use? Is the guitar run through a Janglebox? Did you record direct?

Robert
Hi Robert, Here's my setup: all vocals go through a cheap ART tube preamp (warmth), into an old Tascam mixer and then into the recorder (Tascam 2488 - 24 track hard disk recorder). Everything else just goes into the mixer and then, into the 2488. Nothing is direct into the 2488, but IS direct in the sense that I'm never miking an amp (don't own one). The drums are all done, one 'drum' at a time, on a Roland Juno-G keyboard. There is no drum machine. One track for bass drum, one for snare, toms, cymbals, percussion, etc., until the drums are complete. I may then bounce the drum tracks down to a stereo pair, to free up tracks. The one drum at a time is a major pain, especially for rolls and fills, but pays off in the sense that I can easily punch in corrections to any 'drum' that has a problem. I also have complete control over the EQ for each 'drum'. I'm actually not crazy about my drum sound and I'm looking to improve it. I use a JangleBox 2 on my Ricks. Hope this helps. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

8mileshigher wrote:Tom, you do good stuff !!!
It would be great for us Rickaholics if you could itemize the instruments (Rics) you used on this and that track..... when you get time to edit or add to all those Beatbyrd postings !!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, half the fun is learning what techniques and instruments you used on each song, like your mention of the four individual strings played with a steel, and individually edited in, on "Goin' Back" etc.
Hi Rich, thanks for the compliment. I try to keep a log for each song, but I don't usually write down individual settings (too lazy and too much time) for the instruments. I try and keep each song's comment short on the site. I can answer questions about any particular song, but so far, I've usually only gotten general questions, like the previous post from Folkie. I don't think there's a large audience for the specifics, but I'll provide any details if asked. Thanks. Tom

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

beatbyrd wrote:Hi, I just posted my cover of "Thoughts and Words". It was about time to do a song by "Smiley" (Chris Hillman). Thanks. Tom
ONCE AGAIN, I hear work of this quality, and I wish I had stuck with my piano lessons :oops: .....it would have been nice to go to a Pro Tools seminar and learn to navigate around on one them computers too :lol: .....very good work!

Scratchin' my head on how you duplicated the backmasked guitar on that track.....great cut! :D
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

beatbyrd wrote:
Folkie wrote:Thanks, Tom. Once again, beautiful work! I like how you always capture the spirit of the original while at the same time putting your own spin on things. I've been planning my own Byrds recording project, but I don't think I can match the professional sound (particularly the vocal harmonies and drum patterns) of yours. What kind of recorder and drum machine do you use? Is the guitar run through a Janglebox? Did you record direct?

Robert
The drums are all done, one 'drum' at a time, on a Roland Juno-G keyboard. There is no drum machine. One track for bass drum, one for snare, toms, cymbals, percussion, etc., until the drums are complete. I may then bounce the drum tracks down to a stereo pair, to free up tracks. The one drum at a time is a major pain, especially for rolls and fills, but pays off in the sense that I can easily punch in corrections to any 'drum' that has a problem. I also have complete control over the EQ for each 'drum'. I'm actually not crazy about my drum sound and I'm looking to improve it. I use a JangleBox 2 on my Ricks. Hope this helps. Tom

Zoom makes a drum machine that I have used because of the extensive choice of drum sets that it offers. You can get an entire set sound that can be applied to any cover song, and it can be played with your fingers one drum part at a time, as you mentioned.

When bands record with a live drummer, the song "breathes", that is , the beat and speed travels up and down, almost imperceptibly, with the emotion of the song.

My personal hero, Todd Rundgren, inspired me to learn to play a drum set--it took years before I could go out live and play a gig with a band, but I got there. What Todd did on his masterpiece, "Something/Anything???" album was to set up the drums in his studio, mic it up, hit the record button and play the drum part to the song as if he was with a band---it takes considerable concentration, and you have to be good at pretending, but it works. You run the song thru your head and play. After the drums are down, the guitars and the bass come easy, mainly because drummers LEAD the bands they are in.....whether the other guys want to admit it or not---the drummer leads the band.

I personally got tired of the chore of programming, or playing one part at a time on the Zoom, so I went back in time and bought a drum set again.....much to my wife and dogs' chagrin... :lol: The live drum sound is a lot more difficult to capture, my playing could probably be better, but the time I save is priceless.

Another suggestion is to buy a 12 pack of some adult beverage, and invite a good, low-ego drummer you know to play some tunes with you while you play guitar---record his set and drop the guitar.....I suggest this, but it is precisely the reason I made it my mission to learn drums myself----I got tired of arguing and cajoling drummers to play the part the way it should be played.....when you are not famous, nobody takes your ideas seriously. Everybody wants to "interpret"...... :roll:

Drums will always be the most difficult, and most essential piece in the recording puzzle.
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Really good advice, Gee. I've been wanting a nice, high end student grade drum kit for quite a while now. This one would be very nice, I think.Image
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Jim, that is a beautiful set....Gretsch or Ludwig would be my choice, but I bought an off brand, and use my son's excellent Ludwig high hat. I bought Paiste cymbals......paid dearly for those....

Later I'll replace the stock heads with something better....I found drums a h*ll of a lot easier to learn than harmonica! :oops:

I'll be posting my latest, better version of the Byrds' "Set You Free This Time" soon---no harp on that....learned my lesson :roll:
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

This is my set.......made outta scrap from a 1958 Oldsmobile.........
This is my set.......made outta scrap from a 1958 Oldsmobile.........
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

kvalois wrote:Tom:

Outstanding job!!!! The Rick sounds beautiful--nice and chimey!!!! And, your vocals are great!!!!

Karl :D
+1! I like the backwards guitar sounding effect as well. Keep up the good work, Tom. See you at the next jam. :)

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”