Post by weemac »

It can happen!.... :o

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr.asp

Read the third last paragraph...

emac.
woodyng

Re: Another Alternate Yes....

Post by woodyng »

And if the pete banks/ambrosia thing gets off the ground,well,it could get interesting,with all the yeses touring around. At least we know BIll B. will not be involved in any of it...(?)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

With so many current and former Yes members still around and practising their trade, it is possible to have several "legitimate" lineups out on tour at any given time. However, all but one would be missing one very key member...

Here's a thought... Have a triple bill. Peter Banks, Bill Bruford & Tony Kaye could form a band focusing on early original Yes music, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman, with Jon, can do the 80's stuff and the current Yes can headline as the main act, with all members filling in at various times to complete the picture... All we need is to slip everyone a big "happy pill" before presenting the contracts - and maybe two for Bill? :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Maybe if Jon could get Tony Levin,Mr.B might go for it! :D Or ,ARW could hire chester thompson,if he's not busy.....!
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Its "Alternative" over here in England by the way.

I always associate alternate with alternating current.
Divided by a common language as they say.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

pag wrote:Its "Alternative" over here in England by the way.

I always associate alternate with alternating current.
Divided by a common language as they say.
I think I used the word "Alternate" as it seemed to flow with the title a bit better.
However in common use I would have used "Alternative"........as an alternative.. :mrgreen:

emac
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Bill Bruford is retired. Somehow, with the sort of mental resolve he posesses, I don't see that changing.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

I am a longtime Yes fan and started listening to them in 1979 or so when my cousin made me listen to Close To The Edge. Hated it at first now my fav. Yes fans may hate me for this, but all the old groups including Yes, really need to stop touring and making music. Drama was the last listenable Yes album. I hated the '80's comeback, Union, ABWH, most of the solo albums, and everything they have done since. The only thing interesting about 90125 is the way they did the vocals. It makes me sad cause Yes are one of my top 5 fav bands. Just cause the Stones are still doing does not mean everyone else should including the Stones. Yes from The Yes Album to Relayer were a band at the top of their game. Some of Tales was hard to take, but those were different times.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yea, and The Beatles should have hung it up after Sgt. Peppers! Who needs Abbey Road, Imagine or Band on the run? These guys should just all be driving cabs now... :roll:
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

FretlessOnly wrote:Bill Bruford is retired. Somehow, with the sort of mental resolve he posesses, I don't see that changing.
Sorry, did you think I was being serious? :lol:
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

I know you were not serious about Abbey Road. I myself can't stand listening to The Long And Winding Road and a few others by the greatest group of all time. The Beatles are one band that almost everything they did was magic, but some groups need to know when to call it quits. We can't keep it going forever. Alot of the Beatles solo years were awful. Ringo, one good album, Paul up to about Back To The Egg. George All Things Must Pass and John up to Walls And Bridges, but this is about Yes. Anyone original in the band. Only Chris has been on every Yes album. The classic lineup of Jon, Steve, Chris, Bill and Rick are long gone. I loved Alan and Patrick, but we be able to admit when it is time. I know it is hard.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

:lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

oh, i knew mr bruford would not be enticed,i too was just musing about all this. and joel,ya don't haveta listen to any of the new stuff if ya don't want to....personally i am more than happy to hear whatever these guys want to put out,having seen the latest group in concert,i can only say that the magic is still there,and where else are you going to hear music of this caliber? also you might want to check out the de-spectorized "let it be-naked" album,a vast improvement over the original imho.
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

I have all the Beatles albums and Anthologys and many solo things. And I mean album (good old vinyl) and on cd too, love that Apple label. I still don't like the Long And Winding Road, which was on Naked and I think Anthology 3, one other classic I do not like is Hey Jude, two minuits of singing and 5 to 6 of NA NA NA, they can do better. This is one of the greatest living songwriter we are talking about writing Na Na Na for 5 minuits. I know it is personal preferance on whether or not to continue to listen to everyting Yes has ever put out. For me I drew the line at Drama, even the first two albums with Banks and Kaye I rarley listen to. Asteral Traveler is the buisness though, and a few others, No Oppertunity, The Prophet, Time And A Word, and Harold Land. I have seen Yes I think 5 times (3 times on 90125, once on Big Generator, and once on Talk, but I was younger then). Sadly never with Steve Howe, who is one of my top 5 fav guitarists. I have seen Asia twice. Once after the 1st album came out and on the XXV Reunion tour. I even saw GTR with Howe and Hackett. Don't get me wrong all those guys are talented musicians, but I think you reach a point in your carrer were you did it and it was increadable, and now you are a musician and it is what you do you keep making albums and tour, but all your best ideas have already been used. Just my two cents, of course listen to who and what albums you want. We all have opinions. Close To The Edge will allways be the zenith for me.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

woodyng wrote:...you don't haveta listen to any of the new stuff if ya don't want to....personally i am more than happy to hear whatever these guys want to put out,having seen the latest group in concert,i can only say that the magic is still there,and where else are you going to hear music of this caliber?.....
My point exactly, Woody. I could say so much more, but really, what point would there be in that? Don't like it, don't listen. There will always be those who feel the need to rain on others parades, so to speak, but life's too short and I need the time to listen to all of Rick Wakeman's solo albums.... :lol:

Having heard some unreleased material from some of these "old guys" (not the new Yes CD, to be clear), I can only say that I for one am happy that they didn't retire after Drama. Can't wait for "Squackett"

Jazz Guitarist Joe Negri is 84. His latest studio release is great. Why hang it up if you still have it? Because three people think so? :roll:

Tony - You Ready??? :D

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”