Great photo

The genius of Chris Squire
bassduke49

Great photo

Post by bassduke49 »

Found this shot on "Last FM" website. It says it was "added" by a female Brazilian member of the Last FM group, but there's no other photo credit or info. Anyone know the source of this shot? I'd love to use it in my "project," but I'll need permission from the photog. Anyone?

http://www.last.fm/music/Chris+Squire/+images/54880893
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
rikk
Intermediate Member

Re: Great photo

Post by rikk »

Anybody know what year it was taken?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

There's an email shortcut button on the bottom of that site. Perhaps see if that connects you to the poster?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Tried that and it requires signing up with Last FM. I hesitate to do so. I also see a lot more people communicating from their websites via myspace and Facebook, forgoing "old fashioned" e-mail. Man, I really don't want to go THERE. :|
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

I sure I have seen a picture of Lemmy in the same pose somewhere... :lol:

emac.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

You might try to get in touch with Earl Dittman, though I'm not exactly sure how. He's the owner of Wireless Magazines in Houston TX Phone: 281-564-9473.

He posted that image here:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/image/54289

With the description Chris Squire live in concert on Yes' current "In The Present Tour."

That website seems to care about copyrights and licenses to use and has it listed as "All Rights Reserved", but it's unclear if he owns it or just has permission to use it. You can contact him through that website, but again, you have to be a registered user to send mail...

This is his info page:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/user/437735
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

bassduke49 wrote:Tried that and it requires signing up with Last FM. I hesitate to do so. I also see a lot more people communicating from their websites via myspace and Facebook, forgoing "old fashioned" e-mail. Man, I really don't want to go THERE. :|
I gave up on myspace and deleted my account. Facebook is probably next on my list to be deleted. I am a little more undecided about facebook because it is the only way some of my friends choose to communicate with me. So yes I can see your point Paul. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Cool pics. Many of them I've seen before.
Brian, you might have noticed before you dumped up your Myspace, that I had deleted mine also.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

rickenbrother wrote:Cool pics. Many of them I've seen before.
Brian, you might have noticed before you dumped up your Myspace, that I had deleted mine also.
A number of my friends did the same thing as we did Joey. Myspace made all sorts of format and other structural changes that I did not like. They ruined that site IMO.

bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

cjj wrote:You might try to get in touch with Earl Dittman, though I'm not exactly sure how. He's the owner of Wireless Magazines in Houston TX Phone: 281-564-9473.

Dead end. Phone not in service. Even a Google search for Wireless Magazines turns up with lots of mentions but no location or contact info. Dittman appears to be a "film critic" and writes a lot of critic "quotes" for movie promos. Frustrating.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

I was not aware Jeff Bridges played a Rickenbacker :D
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

Paul, have you looked at the 'orphaned works' part of copyright law? Something about if you make every reasonable effort to find copyright holder but are unsuccessful.....
I'm sure you have lots of IP lawyer contacts that could assist.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

bassduke49 wrote:
cjj wrote:You might try to get in touch with Earl Dittman, though I'm not exactly sure how. He's the owner of Wireless Magazines in Houston TX Phone: 281-564-9473.

Dead end. Phone not in service. Even a Google search for Wireless Magazines turns up with lots of mentions but no location or contact info. Dittman appears to be a "film critic" and writes a lot of critic "quotes" for movie promos. Frustrating.
OK, I now understand how the Digital Journal site listing works. The "Attribution" line lists the Name of the copyright holder, which in this case is "Yes". So, it would appear that this particular image is owned by the band "Yes" with all rights reserved.

So, if you can figure out how to get in touch with Yes it would seem that they would be the ones to grant you the right to use it...

Edit: It's a good bet that the photographer is Robin Kauffman, who seems to have copyrights on a lot of Yes photos. Not sure how to contact him either though...

Edit 2: You could always try emailing Chris directly via chris@chrissquire.com
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Geddy Lee

Post by Geddy Lee »

It's so incredibly triumphant! :lol: 8)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”