USA made bass combo amp

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

MaplegloMatt

USA made bass combo amp

Post by MaplegloMatt »

Since getting back into bass playing a few years ago, I've finally decided to get a decent amp. It looks like I'll be back on stage (after a 25 year hiatus) occasionally filling in for the bassist in my friends blues band. My Acoustic B10 ten watt practice amp isn't going to cut it so I've been looking for a bass combo amp that can handle small to medium size clubs.
I have decided that with the economy being what it is, I should buy something made in the USA.
After all, that's one of the cool things about RIC....they've stayed true to the whole "Made In The USA" thing.
The Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout is what I really want but I just can't afford to spend that much right now. So, I've decided on the Carvin MB15. It's got 200W, a 15" speaker, horn, and is able to drive an additional speaker. And with an XLR out to the PA system I should be covered for most any situation. I imagine some of the components might come from overseas but at least it's assembled here in the USA.
So, I guess it's a little too late to be asking this question, since I ordered one today, but does anyone have any experience with this amp?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: USA made bass combo amp

Post by cjj »

I don't have experience with that amp, but I do use a Carvin amp, a DCM1540L. I like Carvin stuff, they are good quality and definitely stand behind their products...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Carvin makes a good product for a good price. I'm sure it will suit your needs just fine :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That is an awfully small box to stuff a 15" speaker into, along with an amp chassis, I can't imagine it's tone is going to be much to write home about. :? :!:
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

I have had (and still have) more bass amps than I care to admit. I have played Sunn,Peavey, Traynor,Acoustic,Ampeg,Tech21, GK, Hartke and Fender. Recently I bought an Ashdown ABM EVO III 900. I use one 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabs with it. I can honestly say this is the finest bass amp I have ever used. I have also played RIC's, Fenders, and Gibson basses with this unit and they all sound like gold. The tone is simply oustanding. It has more than enough power to spare and has not let me down yet. I would reccomend Ashdown to anyone, anytime.
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

Thanks for the input. While I don't have any experience with Carvin (at least til the UPS truck arrives) I've heard enough good things about them to make me want to give this amp a try. It seems Carvin has a little of the RIC love/hate thing going on with some musicians?!?

I agree with you Jeff, it is a very small cab for the 15" speaker. That is the only real complaint I've read on other boards about this amp but some claim that with some EQ tweaking you can get a decent tone and that it really comes alive as a stack when another cab is added. Power is bumped to 250w and if the right cab is utilized you can get the deep bottom end that's missing. I think finding the right setting is possible, as one of the reasons I was drawn to this amp is the extensive EQ settings and on board compressor.
I also looked at Ashdown. I think their stuff is very good. I might get a 1 15" Ashdown for the extra cab. If this set up is a loud as what I used to gig with "back in the day" (Kustom 200w w/2 15 cab....that had black tuck 'n roll covering!) then I'll be OK.
I'll report back once it arrives.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Matt, where in NH are you? I am planning a trip up to Franklin, probably towards the end of July.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

One of my 5 bass amps is a Carvin PB 200. I've had it for around 8 years. It sounds great, it can keep up with a fairly loud band, it's portable, reliable, made in the USA, and it was priced right.

And I don't worry much about it getting stolen when I've gigged it, because it's not worth very much!

Good luck!

8)
Attachments
carvin pb 200.jpg
carvin pb 200.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

jps wrote:Matt, where in NH are you? I am planning a trip up to Franklin, probably towards the end of July.
You've come this far, might as well come to Maine :twisted: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

chrisdski wrote:
jps wrote:Matt, where in NH are you? I am planning a trip up to Franklin, probably towards the end of July.
You've come this far, might as well come to Maine :twisted: :lol:
Some day. But a nice short drive from Maine to NH could work. :wink: My plan is to visit a long time friend and musician, so music will be very high on the list of things we plan to do.
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

Since you're both Jeffs I'll use your forum names..... :)
jps: PM sent.
rickaddict: Cool looking Carvin and I know what you mean about not worrying about it too much. When I have places I don't want to take my Rickenbacker to, I use my Yamaha bb400. Built like a tank, plays/sounds great, and worth next to nothing. :)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I have a GK MB115 that sounds great with my Rick and a VT pedal.
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Matt, PM replied to!
MaplegloMatt

Post by MaplegloMatt »

The GK MB115 was high on my list. I've read lot's of great things about them but I really wanted something I could add an extra cab to.
So, here's the latest....
Still awaiting arrival of my new amp but I've pulled the trigger on a used Bag End S15 cab. I got it for a good price and the dimensions are almost identical to the Carvin so, it should make a good looking mini rig. Now we'll just have to see about the tone but I'm looking for an old school rock/blues tone (no slapping going on here) so my Ric strung with GHS flats, through a pair of 15's (with the bonus of a horn in the amp cab) should do it.
Back in the day, when using a Kustom 200w 2x15 amp with my 4001, I used to get compliments often about my tone....especially from drummers. That set up with original Rickenbacker flat wounds sounded great. It seemed every other 4001 player at the time was going for the Chris S./Geddy tone but to my ears the Macca tone (like on Wings Over America) was where it was at.
We shall see this time around....updates and photos to follow when I get my hands on the amp!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I used to have two Bag End S15 cabinets that I ran with either a SWR Bass 350 or, a bit later on, a rack system that had an Alembic F-1X preamp into an Aphex 661 Expressor compressor to a Stewart World 1.2 power amp, with a Korg DTR-1 tuner in the F-1X's effects loop.

Return to “The Low End”