Flight Case for 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iamltjbukem

Flight Case for 325

Post by iamltjbukem »

I am moving to the UK in a few months and want to (obviously) take my 325V59 with me but am worried about the vintage case that came with it for travel. Can anyone suggest a flight case for it? Where to get it? How much? Or even have one for sale?

Jeff
2ricks

Re: Flight Case for 325

Post by 2ricks »

You could have one custom made. I've heard of some services that make amazing flight cases
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

I haven't flown with my 1996, but...

I recently flew to England and back with a bass in a gig bag and had no trouble at all carrying it on. I flew British Airways and they tucked it away in a coat closet on board.

I also flew point-to-point in the United States with my grandpa's '63 Gibson SG Special in it's original chipboard case, also carried on. On that flight I just stowed it in the overhead bin. I had to be watchful of people not seeing it up there and trying to pound their bags in on top of it, but it arrived safely and in good condition.

I don't know what your carry-on needs are, but if you can get by with carrying it on, the vintage case will probably be just fine.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

In the last ten years I've bought a couple of guitars on separate occasions whilst on business in the US. I brought both back as carry-on. The first was a Les Paul in late 2001 - you can imagine that just getting it on the 'plane could have been difficult but BA were very good and it travelled in the overhead locker. I flew it back in its traditional tan tolex Gibson case. Last one I brought back was in late March '03, just as the Gulf kicked off. This was an ES 175. I had a cardboard outer box covering the tolex case for the US internal flights. This was a mistake as I got mixed responses - most of them being to gate check the box.

For the transatlantic flight it was suggested to me that I ditch the box before arriving at the airport - this I did and it went in the coathanger space no problem. When it went through xray, one official wanted me to take off the strings and put them in the hold, but his colleague, a player, convinced him that I'd be OK.

Last thing that I brought back was a Breedlove Mando - these are much easier as they pack easily between garments in hold luggage.

I have flown with my 1998 but that was a long time ago and I had a full flight case.

Whichever you choose, remember to take the tension off the strings!

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”