Shaded BLue 365 OS replica

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Shaded BLue 365 OS replica

Post by libratune »

I've had this guitar as my avatar for awhile. It is allegedly a factgory one-off Shaded Blue once owned by Mitch Easter and sold on eaby several years ago for a lot of money. It ended up at a music store who featured it in some magazine ads. Here's the real think with some extra photos from the ebay ad.
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - body front
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - body front
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - full front
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - full front
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - back
67 Shaeded BLue 365 OS - back
I figured I'd never come across this unique guitar again, so I took a perfectly fine 36V64 MG and had it sprayed Shaded Blue and changed out the TP to an Accent.

What do you think?
365V64 Shaded BLue - body front
365V64 Shaded BLue - body front
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Shaded Blue 365 OS replica

Post by libratune »

More:
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
365V64 Shaded Blue
admin
Site Admin

Re: Shaded BLue 365 OS replica

Post by admin »

Thanks for the photos, Ron. An interesting idea. To my eye there is a rather abrupt change from the solid to the natural wood grain. Having said that, I think that your replica bears a close resemblance to the Easter guitar at least in the photos shown here. In some of the photos this may be as close to a "Rickenbacker relic" as I have seen.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

For me there is a bit too much natural grain showing on the V64. And the transition from the blue to the natural colour looks much better on the original too.
The blue colour is actually really nice, and personally I'd prefer the whole of the guitar to be that colour, but hey, what do I know! :lol:
An interesting project Ron, thanks for sharing.

8 out of 10.
See me after class. :lol:
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

Let me say that I never owned that guitar! It belonged to my ex-wife, and i used it a fair bit on some records, but it went with her and she sold it. i never would have parted with that one (the guitar, that is)! It was the best old Rickenbacker i ever played- great sound, a guitar that lived up to all the "old guitar" expectations!

I would say that the replica is in general a bit more vivid that the original, and I recall a fair bit of blue right into the center. I think the color was just a bit greyer, or softer, or maybe it just just aged into something like that.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Very nice replica, Ron! Gotta love when a guitar in your avatar has a replica made from it.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

I agree, the fade is a bit abrupt. Then again, it's pretty hard to photograph a burst, so maybe it's more forgiving in real life.

I'd buy it though! Wish I had thought of it. I really should get a 360V64 someday.
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

I'd buy it, too! This is a color/finishing scheme they should do.
Another thing I remembered about that guitar is that the wood had lots of tiny bird's eyes. Just a special instrument!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

blue330 wrote:Let me say that I never owned that guitar! It belonged to my ex-wife, and i used it a fair bit on some records, but it went with her and she sold it. i never would have parted with that one (the guitar, that is)! It was the best old Rickenbacker i ever played- great sound, a guitar that lived up to all the "old guitar" expectations!

I would say that the replica is in general a bit more vivid that the original, and I recall a fair bit of blue right into the center. I think the color was just a bit greyer, or softer, or maybe it just just aged into something like that.
I think Mitch nailed my first impressions exactly. Blue a bit too intense and turquoisey (was it custom-mixed or a standard shade, Ron?), not enough blue in the center, transition too abrupt (though that could be the camera, too).
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

It was a custom-mixed shade to match the photos I gave to shop that refinished it. They said it was very close to Fender Daphne Blue. If it appears slightly turquoise in the photos, it is not in person. Also the burst transition is not as abrupt in person as the photos show. I think after 40 years of aging, this will look closer to the 1967 original -- but I probably won't be around to see that so I'll be content with what I have.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Mitch, thank you in particular for chiming in. I knew you had played this guitar, but I had forgotten the association with your ex-wife.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Thanks for the clarification, Ron. I suspected that the digital camera is the culprit on both color and transition...

My SONYs are fabulous cameras, but they have lots of trouble with blues and greens, especially the more subtle shades.

Remember Ektachrome??? <<sigh...>>
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jingle_jangle wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Ron. I suspected that the digital camera is the culprit on both color and transition...

My SONYs are fabulous cameras, but they have lots of trouble with blues and greens, especially the more subtle shades.

I was just thinking as I read this post, Long Live Film! :!:
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

libratune wrote:I've had this guitar as my avatar for awhile. It is allegedly a factgory one-off Shaded Blue once owned by Mitch Easter and sold on eaby several years ago for a lot of money. It ended up at a music store who featured it in some magazine ads. Here's the real think with some extra photos from the ebay ad.
67rick365blue_edited-1.jpg
a819_12.jpg
b8a3_12.jpg
This particular Shaded-Blue Rickenbacker is the only one I've seen finished blue in this particular way---meaning the shading is only slightly transparent, if at all. To my eye, it is a solid color of light blue.

The other Shaded Blue guitars I know of (made around 1969-70) are more of a glow-style, closer to the modern Blue-Burst COY Rickenbacker instruments. IIRC, there were at least 3 of these, and one of them was a 381....John Williams may know for sure. Pics exist.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

jps wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Ron. I suspected that the digital camera is the culprit on both color and transition...

I was just thinking as I read this post, Long Live Film! :!:
Ektachrome was good with blues and greens although overall I always prefered Kodachrome 25. Kodachrome has wonderful color but a more complex process. Now extinct for about 12 years.
"The best things in life aren't things."
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

libratune wrote:It was a custom-mixed shade to match the photos I gave to shop that refinished it. They said it was very close to Fender Daphne Blue. If it appears slightly turquoise in the photos, it is not in person. Also the burst transition is not as abrupt in person as the photos show. I think after 40 years of aging, this will look closer to the 1967 original -- but I probably won't be around to see that so I'll be content with what I have.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Mitch, thank you in particular for chiming in. I knew you had played this guitar, but I had forgotten the association with your ex-wife.
All things said these are stunning guitars that I'm sure any of us here would love to have, and the Mitch Easter connection just adds even more kudos and coolness.
Would you say that these are your favourite Rics from your collection Ron?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”