New Smithereens album

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
analogpackrat

New Smithereens album

Post by analogpackrat »

I picked it up earlier this week at my local independent record store. Wow. They're baaaaack! "2011" is a really great album with a wide range of 'Reens styles on offer--from jangly power pop to Marshall rockin' hooks to great vocal harmonies verging on Beach Boys--it's all there and with Pat's great lyrics as usual. A lot of it could easily have been on the first two LPs. The "new" bassist, Severo Jornacion, really steps up and delivers, too. This album was recorded at Mitch Easter's Fidelitorium in NC and produced by SC native Don Dixon. While I know that Pat mostly plays Strats now and Jim is into Teles, his red Rick is mentioned in the liner notes. Severo lists a certain Kenny Howes in his acknowledgements. Who could that be?

Four and a half stars. Highly recommended. And if you haven't heard their cover of The Who's Tommy album, add that to your list as well. Your auditory inputs will thank you.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Re: New Smithereens album

Post by rkbsound »

Boy, this album really sounds great - thanks for the heads-up! I got a chance to see them in the '80s and would like to catch them again. They don't seem to have lost any energy! Definitely sounds like some Rickenbacker sounds...perhaps Mitch could comment?
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Well, that just cost me a well-spent $10. Thanks iTunes and Kira. Nice catch.

Manta
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Geez... there go those guys following me around again. Their second EP was released on Little Ricky Records in 1983,after my band released a single with the same label in 1981. Now, last summer I record with my latest band at Fidelitorium, and they go and do the same thing :D

Pat DiNizio was just in my neighborhood last week. I missed it but, I heard he did 5 acoustic songs, and 3 electric (or vice versa). I believe he did his hits, and a few solo tunes.

on a side note - if anyone gets a chance to record at Mitch's studio - take it. Worth the trip. Not expensive(compared to NY studios any way). He's got all the toys, and he knows how to use them. Working on putting together funds to record more there this summer. My son is insistent on it.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”