That, That Is (part i) bass cover clip

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

That, That Is (part i) bass cover clip

Post by miguelbass »

Hello everyone,

I would like to show you my latest Yes bass cover clip. Just now I noticed that it's been 11 months since I have done a cover from Yes!
Hope you enjoy it and thanks for watching!

Miguel

http://www.miguelbass.com
inhuien

Re: That, That Is (part i) bass cover clip

Post by inhuien »

I'd not heard that tune before, so thanks for the introduction. Your playing was, as ever, lovely. :)
ram

Post by ram »

Great job Miguel. New one for me as well... - very nice visuals! I enjoyed it very much!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Quite a different mood for a Yessong - this is from Keys to Ascension 1 btw - and their lineup was Jon, Steve, Chris, Alan and Rick - in 96.
Thanks Mark and Tom :)
Miguel
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Miguel, what can I say?! Once again you nail it, and the tone.... ahhh the tone. Kudos again.
Geddy Lee

Post by Geddy Lee »

Great playing and great song. Watched the whole thing, you're an amazing player miguel! :mrgreen:
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

Got the bass, got the pick, got the right notes, and a decent amp.... How the heck do you get that wonderful Tone ???? I give up !!!!!! :)
Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

Spot on, all i can say :D Must be nice to learn and play that. You must have a fair old catalog of Yes songs under your belt now.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Nice work, Miguel. Your playing and translation of the bass part speaks for itself, but what I appreciate as a video editor is your visual concept - always creative and appropriate, never overdone or too flashy, just very nicely laid out over the music to accent the performance. I also like how you sometimes choose the lesser known tracks and remind me how Chris shines on these as well as the classic tracks.

Keep up the good work! In July you may have new track to keep you even busier!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

just_bassics wrote:Nice work, Miguel. Your playing and translation of the bass part speaks for itself, but what I appreciate as a video editor is your visual concept - always creative and appropriate, never overdone or too flashy, just very nicely laid out over the music to accent the performance. I also like how you sometimes choose the lesser known tracks and remind me how Chris shines on these as well as the classic tracks.

miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

just_bassics wrote:Nice work, Miguel. Your playing and translation of the bass part speaks for itself, but what I appreciate as a video editor is your visual concept - always creative and appropriate, never overdone or too flashy, just very nicely laid out over the music to accent the performance. I also like how you sometimes choose the lesser known tracks and remind me how Chris shines on these as well as the classic tracks.

A few words about the video. Earlier this year I had a problem with my pc that ended up corrupting my larger sized files, especially some of the original mov files that compose my previous clips. I was of course feeling not so good about it and, as I was trying (but not succeeding) to do something to recover the files and working on TTI, I thought that I could use the damaged files somehow as "artwork ingredients" - something like getting over a weakness and building something positive out of it. That's something like what I get from the message of the song itself and I thought it would be a nice basis, without sticking literally to the lyrics. Something like a flower growing on a junkyard. I went around my house and got the flowers and skies for different weathers and times of day, so I did with the river view of my city.

The other meaning of the song, I don't know why, is that I relate that intro with winter. Last winter I was in the Urals and Siberia and those images that I took there were, in my mind, that moving winter landscape that instantly took me to the slowly growing dynamics of Steve's guitar, followed by the bass and percussion, with Rick's keyboards adding that "soundtrack" feel. Then of course I was already having fun changing images to the odd-time signatures etc... This clip ended up having a "special" personal meaning.

I'm still gathering material for part two. For now, as always, there is no definite plan.. these things happen while I'm editing and up to the final recording many things may change. I'm not even sure if next clip will be part two. I will go to San Francisco on a conference and I have work going on right now, plus I have to write the paper... but I'll do the second part - "hopefully eventually"!

Thank you very much Jim, thank you very much to all of you who took the time to watch and write your comments!

Miguel
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

thanks Miguel !!! I just took my V63 out of the closet (she felt lonely for a long time I will be honest !!!) and I learned the tune following your lead !!! I guess I rediscovered my V63 !!! thanks and please post some more of these !!! Great job !!

Post by 2112 »

Unbieveably awesome!!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

2112 wrote:Unbieveably awesome!!
:shock:
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Post by 2112 »