Modifying AC30 CC2 reverb

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Modifying AC30 CC2 reverb

Post by whojamfan »

The reverb in these things has a dwell longer than the line for the bathroom at a ballgame, and a sound to match what's at the end of it, so I changed the pan-twice. Direct USA Accutronics long, and then the short, reverb pans. Both sounded better than the stock, but the dwell was still way too long, and mostly unusable to me.

So...... :idea:

I know there is an effect loop in the amp, so let's just pretend it doesn't exist because I don't want to use it.

I want to use the reverb send and return cables to hook up a standalone(like the fender) tube reverb box, and be able to use the footswitch to turn it on and off, and use the controls on the amp for the reverb.

Basically, I want to substitute a standalone reverb box for the tank that is bolted to the bottom of my amp, and NOT use my effects loop at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand some component values will need to be changed, and am ready to finally lick this problem if I can find out how. :D
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Modifying AC30 CC2 reverb

Post by winston »

Sell that amp and buy an AC30VR............problem solved. :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

winston wrote:Sell that amp and buy an AC30VR............problem solved. :mrgreen:

Uh.............................................no :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Go to the Plexipalace site: IIRC there's a resistor or doohickey you need to install along with the Accutronics tank to get rid of the excessively long decay time. Also, which Accutronics tank did you use? The company makes a couple of tanks with ridiculously long decay times. I'm not sure if the correct tank is the same tank that goes in the Twin, or another tank.

I had a separate reverb circuit installed in my brown face Fender Twin in a box on the inside of the back of the amp. Works pretty killer, but IMO, the brown face cricuit just doesn't have nearly as wide a tonal dimension as the black face circuit. When you get back in town, shoot me an email or phone call and I'll send you info for a super amp tech builder who can take care of the issue for you, if you want, either by fixing that unit, or installing an external reverb mounted in a box, like the one on my Brown FaceTwin.

Cheers,

Paul
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Thanx Paul!
I'm in town and very strapped for cash at the moment. A friend is converting an Epiphone Valve JR head into a standalone spring tube reverb, and just wanted to be able to hook it up through the RCA connections that went to the tank. I would like to be able to use the controls and the supplied Vox footswitch.

I got the right tanks, and even tried out the short one from my AC15, and not much change. I can't seem to find anything on that resistor change or whatever for the amps dwell, but either way, would like to use this tube reverb with this and/or my Hiwatt. Having the surf/psychobilly,60s garage reverb on tap is always a good thing in my book.

I got the head(used) and the kit for less money than what just an ok Reverb pedal would cost, (much less the Fender reissue or a Strymon or something like that), so it made sense economically. The head itself will have the Epiphone badge replaced with a plate the just says "Reverb" on it in Hiwatt black plastic with engraved white letters style. The head looks really cool centered under my AC30 as it sits on the stand I got from Noth Coast Music when I got this thing years ago. I'll bring it by the house when I get it done and you can check it out.

So again, if anybody knows what needs to be done to run this thing through my amp, please let me know. Thanks!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

johnallg wrote:Hey Mike, I found this.

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... 403f8599ea
Thanks John, I had seen thet before, but can't find any information on what that actually does. The first runs of these amps had a problem with the efx loop, reverb, and trem speed, which were all corrected on later runs. I'm not sure if these are the corrections already in my amp, or if these corrections affect the length of the reverb. I guess I'll have to try and check when I open her back up.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”