Where Have You Been All My Life

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
chriscurtisfan

Where Have You Been All My Life

Post by chriscurtisfan »

HELP! This is one of my TOP TEN Searchers songs -- clearly, it is Chris Curtis on lead -- can anybody here tell me about the harmony? Did Chris double track his own voice, or is this just amazingly tight harmony between he and one of the other guys, and if so, who? I'll take your best guess! :)

Thank you!!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Where Have You Been All My Life

Post by royclough »

Pretty certain Mike Penderand possibly Tony Jackson help out on this as it was from last album TJ was on, but may be some double tracking, one of my favourites too
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, that is what was confusing me. I know Tony can hit high notes, as that is his typical range/register (in my opinion) as can John, but in past tracks, it has been Mike who seems to sing tight harmony with Chris. I didn't know whether Frank was on board or not. Then occured to me, could be Chris dt'ing his own voice. I love the songs where some of they "dip" some of the lyrics lke at 2:72 on the word 'life', etc. I apologize I don't know the technical term for that technique, but it's also done on "This Empty Place" -- another one of my Top Ten. These guys just had it all, and still do. They must be amazed (and hopefully pleased) that we will be trying to analyze out their music here -- and I'm enough to make anybody crazy as 80% of their catalogue is new to me. Better late than never! :wink: Thanks for your help! Cheri
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

chriscurtisfan wrote:Roy, that is what was confusing me. I know Tony can hit high notes, as that is his typical range/register (in my opinion) as can John, but in past tracks, it has been Mike who seems to sing tight harmony with Chris. I didn't know whether Frank was on board or not. Then occured to me, could be Chris dt'ing his own voice. I love the songs where some of they "dip" some of the lyrics lke at 2:72 on the word 'life', etc. I apologize I don't know the technical term for that technique, but it's also done on "This Empty Place" -- another one of my Top Ten. These guys just had it all, and still do. They must be amazed (and hopefully pleased) that we will be trying to analyze out their music here -- and I'm enough to make anybody crazy as 80% of their catalogue is new to me. Better late than never! :wink: Thanks for your help! Cheri
This is a tough one. After many listens, I now believe it is a Chris double-track on the lead vocal but that it is Tony chipping in with the harmony. It is actually a double-tracked lead if you listen really closely. The tough part is trying to discern whether or not the double-tracked lead vocal continues when the harmony comes in. I can't tell. I'll have to check out the CD's to see if there is a stereo version of this track that might make it clearer.

I feel that the timber of the voice of the harmony is not Chris and while at first I thought it might be Mike, I now believe that it is Tony.

Any other opinions out there?
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

David, Are you thinking it is Tony kicking in at 1:15 because that's what I'm thinking. There is where I can actually believe it is Tony and the two sound so amazing together if that is the case. My Youtube friend, Bob, feels it is Tony and definitely not Mike. I've been listening to it over and over and trying to sort it out because up to 1:15, both of the voices I hear are so tight and both sound like Chris.

Then on the 'bridge' (1:15)where I can actually hear high harmony, I can't tell if it's Tony or Chris still dt'ing his own voice. It would seem that if Tony was able to not drown out Chris, then it could very well be him. Usually when Tony is singing, his voice is highly audible.

I would love to think it is Tony and not taking over Chris, but working with him to produce one of my favorite Searchers songs.

Still wishing for what could have been vs, what is. Mike, John, Chris and Tony -- together and alive.

I love Frank, but I really loved the 'original to me' four. **Sigh**

My perfect Searchers would be all 5 of them!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My take on this nice melody is that it is Chris on lead and harmony. The harmony line is softer than Tony Jackson's voice at least to my ear. This song is cetainly a favourite of mine and shows the gentler side of the group.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I played "It's The Searchers" CD and listened to it through my new computer/hi tech speakers -- all parts sound like Chris to me, as well, Pete. Any others want to cast a vote? :-)

Thanks everybody for your input!

Cheri
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Frank was not with them when they recorded this track it is a difficult one, I could ask John but he tends to not like being bothered with trivia, whilst Frank is always more than willing to answer in most cases.

In fact this is part of Frank's answer

"it`s hard to tell by listening. Could be Chris adding his own voice or could be Mike."
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Roy, thanks for asking Frank! I'm sure it may seem trivial to John, but that is probably the modesty in him. But to we who love them, each song is important, and it's kind of nice to know is doing the vocals, particularly on such a spectacular song. Almost 2 years ago, my friend, Gary, took the photo in this video to Butlins and after the Searchers concert, he had all of the Searchers autograph it to me. So I own the autographs of Frank and John, 2 of the long-time Searchers, and it's not trivial, it's one of my most prized possessions! Frank signed it: To Cheri, Love, Frank!

:) What a guy! (Frank, I mean. And Gary, too, of course!)

Thanks to all of you for giving me your thoughts!

Cheri
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

My guess: Chris Curtis on lead, and probably Tony Jackson helping on harmonies. Sounds like that to my ear but i may be wrong.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I found a stereo version of this on "It's The Searchers" CD -- Track # 26 -- I am starting to believe it may be Mike helping on the bridge harmonies....as Frank suggested. I only have a laptop computer and earbuds to analyze....my friend Gary feels it is entirely Chris. He has access to all kinds of speakers/headphones -- which some/all of you may also, of course! I think this may have to be in the ear of the listener. I like to, generally, use songs on my YT channel, where Chris was present and give credit where it is due to everybody. I have another 'mystery' song to sort out, but I'll give you all a break before I ask for your help! Sheena, it is good to hear from you again! :-) Thank you everybody, for the time you spent (and work) trying to figure it out.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”