"If You're Gone" Overdubs

Those who flock to The Byrds
Folkie
Advanced Member

"If You're Gone" Overdubs

Post by Folkie »

About a year ago I posted a thread on this forum asking whether the Byrds' "If You're Gone" was recorded in an alternate tuning. The reason I asked is that I haven't been able to get the guitar part(s) repeated at 0.14, 0.50, 1.26, 1.44, and 2.20. These sound like at least two 12-string tracks to me. And maybe RM is doing a little banjo roll on one or both of them.

Maybe Tom O'Keefe is the one to ask. Any insights, Tom?

Robert
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: "If You're Gone" Overdubs

Post by beatbyrd »

Folkie wrote:About a year ago I posted a thread on this forum asking whether the Byrds' "If You're Gone" was recorded in an alternate tuning. The reason I asked is that I haven't been able to get the guitar part(s) repeated at 0.14, 0.50, 1.26, 1.44, and 2.20. These sound like at least two 12-string tracks to me. And maybe RM is doing a little banjo roll on one or both of them.

Maybe Tom O'Keefe is the one to ask. Any insights, Tom?

Robert
Hi Robert, First, the disclaimer.... I'm a bass player who is not a skilled guitarist, but knows a few recording tricks.
I just gave the song a quick listen and it sounds to me like there are 3 guitar parts at those points: one Crosby track on the left and two McGuinn guitar tracks overdubbed on the right. I know that Roger overdubbed his 12 string on a number of songs, usually one part played straight (either arpeggiated or strummed chords) and the other part(s) little embellishments that are complimentary to the straight part, typically at or above the 5th fret. These sound good with his mostly near-the-nut main parts.
I can try and figure the song out with more precision when I get the time. You might also want to ask Christian, who is a guitarist with an excellent set of ears and knows his Byrds stuff. I'm still in shock that a couple of very skilled guitarists from this forum actually asked me what I played for guitar parts on Renaissance Fair!!! And now this!!! Like Yakov Smirnov used to say, "What a country!". Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Tom,

As everyone here knows, you've done some fine recording work, so I knew you would have some answers to my questions about this particular song. Thanks so much for your insights. Maybe Christian will chime in as well.

Robert
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

Folkie wrote:Tom,

As everyone here knows, you've done some fine recording work, so I knew you would have some answers to my questions about this particular song. Thanks so much for your insights. Maybe Christian will chime in as well.

Robert
Gee from Studio Z here----here's my version of "If You're Gone"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9554263

Recorded with one compressed Rick 12, and a Danelectro 6-string....the bass was actually the challenge on this tune. I'm told Hillman played on it as opposed to session star Joe Osborn, and his licks were outstanding---getting that sound, that was problematic....

Holding my breath singing those spooky 'ahhhhs' in the bg was also enlightening...... :roll:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

.......I played a first position G chord, then transitioned to pinky on 1st strings, 3rd fret, and forefinger on the 2nd strings first fret, let the rest ring, and then down to the Em, first position.......that seemed to work

I thought about a 2nd Rick track, but liked what I heard with just the one...... 8)
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Thanks, Gee! Fine work, and great suggestions!
mcd220

Post by mcd220 »

Nice job Gee on "If Your'e Gone". You especially nailed those spooky back-ups. :D

OK, please do not quote me, as this is strictly a GUESS, but the only way I've been able to do that little run based around the D chord at 0:14, etc (ASSUMING it's just one Rick track), is like so:

First, take the forefinger, and lay it down 2nd fret on the G, B & E strings, so you now have a Dmaj7.

Ok, then take your SECOND finger, and place it where the 3rd finger normally goes, 3rd fret B strings.

So, you now have a standard D chord. This now frees up BOTH the 3rd & 4th fingers to play that run on the G strings, while rolling out the D chord.

I'd be very curious as to what you guys think after trying this! No question, it is a bit trickier in actual exceution, depending on one's playing ability. Definitely requires a warm-up for these hands. :shock:

Best, Christian

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”