Interesting analysis of Chris playing on Going for the One.

The genius of Chris Squire
Fretjob

Interesting analysis of Chris playing on Going for the One.

Post by Fretjob »

I got back into playing GftO the other day, used to be my main jamming track back when i was in my early twenties. (The Yesshows version). While looking for titbits about what bass he used on this track i came across this.

http://www.stevieglasgow.com/transcript ... e-one.html

He also has a similar dissection of Parallels on the same site.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: Interesting analysis of Chris playing on Going for the One.

Post by just_bassics »

He certainly spent some time with the tracks. Miguel, your take?
ram

Post by ram »

wow the lad certainly did his homework! I'll have to read it over several times and break out the recording before I understand it all. nice effort thou! Thanks for posting!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Marvelous work really, I only spent half an hour reading and didn't scratch the surface of this brilliant analysis. I agree with Tom - it is necessary to have the recording in *parallel* to better follow the text. At some point I really could relate to the days when I'm listening to Chris's notes, trying to detect whether it was a plucked bass note or a bass drum accent. An ear bleeding task :) Nice technique of pitch shifting on octave higher then slowing back to the original tempo!

Other thank that, Steve Glasgow's text is very well written (sometimes too well for a non-native English speaker) and I am sure all of us who have this love for Chris and his music have felt many of what he put into words. I'll get back to Steve's site checking for more of this. Thanks Fretjob for sharing!

Miguel
http://www.miguelbass.com
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Dang! What a tasty and whitty bit of transcription/description!
Thank you for the link!
And this is a classic example of how great music can be simple, complex, or fiendishly-complex while still appealing to the ears of the non-musician listener.
That Squire took such care in devising such a complex yet musical bass line is so symptomatic of Yes' work. We are lucky to have ears, stereos, and Mr. Squire!
gearhed289
Intermediate Member

Post by gearhed289 »

Amazing analysis. I just skimmed through it... Was there any mention of CS playing the Ric 8 string on that track??
'89 4003S, '92 4001CS, '93 4003S/8
www.nomadichorizonband.com
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

gearhed289 wrote:Amazing analysis. I just skimmed through it... Was there any mention of CS playing the Ric 8 string on that track??
I don't think so, probably a very big small detail that was forgotten. I think that Chris, chose an 8 string bass deliberately to make those notes impose themselves and drive the whole "harmonic feeling" of the song. I didn't read all of the article but I saw no mention to the 8-string.

M

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”