Reliced Amps

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Reliced Amps

Post by wmthor »

What are the marketing people going to think next?
If you own a Relic® Stratocaster or Telecaster then you've GOT to have a Tortured Tweed®!!
The "Tortured Tweed®" line is one of our brand new, hand-wired amplifiers and speaker combinations that are housed in a hand distressed tweed cabinet.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Reliced Amps

Post by ken_j »

I have seen the Fender tweeds with cigarette burns and rings from a sweaty beer on them but this take it to a whole new level. I can hear my wife now if I were to bring that into the living room where my Boogie currently resides.
"The best things in life aren't things."
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I can't say I would ever want to own one, but I actaully dig the way these look. I like them way more than 'reliced' guitars.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I want a Townshend-relic'd Marshall plexi stack! :P
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Eww, no lice for my amps! :lol: :lol:

No, re-lice-ing them either after I've killed the initial lice infestation with the bug spray-thats just mean! :lol: :lol:

These ding dongs who like to "relic" musical instruments and things; not only have they created the odious-pre-worn, ready made instrument concept, they've also seriously taken a wrong and twisted turn with the construction of neologisms in the English language. . . .
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Anyone wanna buy a relicked car? I've got couple I can sell ya. Probably find several more. I hope you can afford them! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

rickenbrother wrote:Anyone wanna buy a relicked car? I've got couple I can sell ya. Probably find several more. I hope you can afford them! :lol:
No kidding.

Evidently I've taken the completely wrong track by buying and using covers on all of my amps, keeping them clean, and doing the same for all of my cased guitars. . . I'm going to start throwing both down flights of stairs between shows, then sell them all for huge megabucks on EBay, then use the profits to buy more stuff and repeat the process. . .
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Re-liced, Richard? :shock:

Relic'd. Jake? :roll:

Thanks, Joey! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
8mileshigher

Re-liced Amps

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote:Eww, no lice for my amps! :lol: :lol:

No, re-lice-ing them either after I've killed the initial lice infestation with the bug spray-thats just mean! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Pretty funny !!!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

jingle_jangle wrote:Relic'd. Jake? :roll:
I just spell it as I've seen on various websites. Is there a correct way to spell it?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

JakeK wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:Relic'd. Jake? :roll:
I just spell it as I've seen on various websites. Is there a correct way to spell it?
Not really. That's one of the things that's just completely wrong about the whole concept!

"reliced"-looks like a second installment of a lice infestation
"relic'd"-looks like a possessive form gone wrong.
"Relicked"-lollipop or ice cream cone anyone? (no offense, Joey) Gee, I hope the first licker didn't have mono. . .

Maybe it should be reliqued. .. nah, even worse; people would think it's a misspelling of something to do with liquor.

There was a perfectly acceptable and well-used word composed of an existing, correct, and uncontroversial spelling, that existed before everyone started talking about lice and licking; "distressed," as in "distressed finish," used in giving refinished cabinetry an antique look. It's the same process and I constantly wonder how all of the confusing constructions of "relic" "-iced," "-ic'd," "-icked"and unfortunately wound themselves into descriptions of this process, given that there was already a perfectly acceptable word already in existence. I believe the word is also used to describe clothing given similar treatment, though by slightly different means. :roll: :lol:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Relicked.

Like the past tense of any other verb ending in a "C".
Try these on for size:

Mimic, frolic, panic, picnic, traffic.

Do we say, "he paniced" or, "They trafficed in narcotics"?

The only reason "relicked" looks weird to anyone is that the use of "relic" as an active verb is so recent, and so often quoted by semi-literate guitar builders... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Does the spelling really matter? Even if it's incorrect the implication is obvious, and everyone knows what someone is referring to when they say 'relic'.
I don't particularly care for it, and quite frankly prefer all my 'relicking' to be done naturally. That having been said, I see no reason to mock something that other people enjoy at no detrement to myself, if that's what they like. Rickenbacker enthusaists should be no strangers to getting 'picked on' for the quirky traits of our guitars and basses that we love, which many people can't stand. This whole 'relicking' bandwagon is getting a bit silly.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

No, spelling doesn't matter... however you spell it, it's a silly idea...
:roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “The Low End”