Is this Made In Japan Gretsch worth $1000?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

octagon

Is this Made In Japan Gretsch worth $1000?

Post by octagon »

It is a Tennessee Rose.Seller says it's like new with original hardshell case and free shipping.BIN is $1000.It has a 7 day money back guarantee.

ImageImage
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Is this Made In Japan Gretsch worth $1000?

Post by JakeK »

Looks real, could be a scam, though. Hard to say. If it is real, GO FOR IT, I'd personally love a '62 RI Harrison style Tenny.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Heck yeah! That's the TR model that's just like my (and George's) original Chet Tennessean, complete with painted F-holes and Hilotrons (very sweet, lower output p/ups). If it's for real, def worth the $. The only difference is the tuners and the script on the p/g. . . . and it's probably built even better than the original, not that the originals were junk-I still have mine, and it plays and sounds killer. :)
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks guys! I think I will go for it. It it is on Ebay so It is covered by their buyer protection.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Definitely worth it. Look at other Ebay prices on the same model...

Any Japanese Professional range Gretsch is worth more than that in GC. ( I mean "Good Condition"-- Guitar Center wouldn't go below $1500.00 without a case...)

Three winters ago, MF had a blowout sale on these for a few days @ $999.00. I bit and have never regretted it!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the seller in Mayfield Heights, Ohio? I almost bought one just like it from someone about a year and a half ago, he wanted $1000 for his.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Oh yeah,thats a steal from where i'm sitting!
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

That's a great price! Go for it!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
octagon

Post by octagon »

Well,I bought the guitar but when I posted the photos of it on another forum a friend posts this:

"That looks like the same one I bought about a week ago for 1k. After the auction I couldn't establish ANY communication with the seller for over 24 hours....so I called Paypal and got my money back. I suspect this is a hijacked account. Would strongly suggest you try and establish some communication with this person before bidding. Might be legit, might not be. It just didn't feel right to ME....

Oh, and when I asked eBay for his contact information, the phone number they sent me is "no longer in service" "

By the time I read this post I had all ready bought and paid for the guitar so I contact Ebay and tell them what my friend said.They give me the sellers cell phone number and email. I call and leave a message and send him this email:

"Hi

I bought your guitar ebay item #120737340462 and sent payment. A friend warned me that your account may be hacked as he won the same guitar from you last week and could make contact with you. The phone number that you have on file with Ebay is out of service.I called Ebay and they gave me your email address and your cell phone number which I called and left a message. Let me know when you get this message. Thanks."

This morning I got 2 emails,1 from the seller:

"Hi,
I received your voicemail. I'm not sure what is going on.
I will contact Ebay to find out.
This item should not have been relisted.
I will refund your payment ASAP.
Thank you for letting me know"

and 1 from Paypal:

"******* has issued a full refund for your payment.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Original payment details:
----------------------------------------------------------------

Date payment sent: Jun 13, 2011
Amount: $1,000.00 USD

Thanks,

PayPal

Weird,what was that all about?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Unfortunate! :shock:

At least the one I almost bought was a local private sale from a retired guy and I went to his house and played the guitar for a while.
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

What's the depth of the case for a Tenny reissue like this supposed to be? I just bought one two days ago and I think the case I have might be for a 6120. It's just a little bit on the deep side.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”