Kicking around the Idea...

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Kicking around the Idea...

Post by Ivan3000 »

Hey all of you luthier savy forumnites! I had an idea pop into my head recently, and its alot better than my homemade handglider idea that never came to be, I want to make a BASS VI out of a Squire Bronco. It has been done before, but I'd like to know how difficult this would be, and if it would be worth the investment. I don't need to know how to do it just yet because I'm not 100 percent and I wouldn't want to waste anyones time. It doesn't need to look like an original either, just a fully functioning BASS VI ghetto style as some would say.
Essentially can it work, and would I be satisfied with my results, I'd like someone who knows a little more than I do about this luthiering to throw in an opinion. Thanks.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Kicking around the Idea...

Post by Ivan3000 »

I also would assume you Fill and redrill the headstock and then paint over it to cover it up. Then make a new nut, new bridge, and is it all possible to refin a fretboard so it gives the appearence of a darker wood, I'm not a fan of the maple (amber maple is nice, just not flat out bright maple).
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Also, maybe snatching up an danelectro baritone bridge like so might help:
I also feel like this bass/guitar transistion would make me a better bassist and guitarist.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think by the time you pay for all the work and bass and extra stuff to do the conversion you may be far better off with this.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jps wrote:I think by the time you pay for all the work and bass and extra stuff to do the conversion you may be far better off with this.
Wrong kind of 6-string...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:I think by the time you pay for all the work and bass and extra stuff to do the conversion you may be far better off with this.
Way to thick...
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I have two Bass VI's. One is a Japanese Bass VI from the 90's that has the three pickups, vibrato, the real deal. Then I've got a rare Fender release that's often referred to as the Jaguar Bass VI Custom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Jag ... one_Custom). I can honestly say that having the extra strings won't help the transition much and that in most cases, you're probably better off getting a regular bass guitar. The Bass VI has lighter strings and a different feel. At the same time, they do have a scale that is closer to a regular guitar and a sound that is really unique in both directions (guitar and bass). As to customizing and creating a Bass VI, it sounds like a lot more work than it's worth. Unless you get really lucky to find a Bass VI, I'd go with a short scale 4-string to get yourself started. Hope this helps some.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

You are moving from guitar to bass? Just get a bass. You'll do fine!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Ivan, I envy your spare time. :mrgreen:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Ivan, Rondo Music has some Bass VI-type guitars for around $350. They look pretty cool.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

sloop_john_b wrote:Ivan, Rondo Music has some Bass VI-type guitars for around $350. They look pretty cool.
I saw those! Would like to try one.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I mainly play bass, I'm proficient at guitar, but I would like to improve my guitar skills and I think the VI would be a fun way to do this...sorry for the confusion (I can play both, but I MAINLY play bass) :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I picked up an Eastwood Mosrite-style baritone (with vibrato!) blem for $200, and fitted it with FBVI strings, then tuned it like a Bass VI. Cheap Instant Tic-Tac.

The strings cost 1/4 of what the guitar did... :lol:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

sloop_john_b wrote:Ivan, Rondo Music has some Bass VI-type guitars for around $350. They look pretty cool.
I saw the Rondo Argus and the headstock isn't there for me, not the pickups. I'd also like to be able to be like "Yeah, I pretty much made this what it is right now." :D
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Get whatever crazy thing you want then. Will it make you a better.......? It may make you a better musician. I just picked up an Eastwood Warren Ellis Tenor guitar. Lots of fun learning a new instrument. I would second Eastwood Baratone!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”