Need Help!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mellowinman

Need Help!

Post by mellowinman »

In the late seventies, I was a teenager, and I had an awesome 4001. I sold it for $700.00. My parents made me sell it, because I was caught smoking pot. The guy I sold it to only paid me $200.00, and was going to "make payments," but he never paid me another dime. I was a wimpy *** kid, and I never did anything about it.

Now, it's all these years later, and I play bass in a band. I bought a Fender Jazz, and it rocks, but I lay awake some nights, wishing for a fireglo Rickenbacker.

I'm way to poor to spend that kind of money.

How can I find one that needs work? I would be happy if none of the electronics worked, and it needed refinished; the whole deal. I'm very good with tools.

And that's the story of why I joined this forum.

Am I crazy?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Need Help!

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome to the Forum, Richard, and you are not crazy!

There are many threads on people's 'lost loves', guitars and basses, and there have been some happy reunions as well, when the original owner has retained the serial number and the instrument has been located in the here and now.

Every now and then a 4001 or 4003 'carcass' will surface on a Craigslist or eBay, so keep an eye out for those ... and above all, be patient! I wish you all the best luck in finding what you need. :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
mellowinman

Post by mellowinman »

It's not only a reassuring post, but it's reassuring to know The Doctor is watching out for me. I always suspected he might be.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

Welcome.

I passed on a '76 Maple Glo 4001 at Guitar Center San Bernardino, Ca. It was about a 5. Played ok but needed cosmeitic work. They were asking $999.00

Glenn
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Richard,

Don't let anyone tell you different. You are as crazy as a bed bug, we all are, so you will fit in fine around here!! Rickenbackers are never really inexpensive but you may get lucky on ebay sometimes. The new 4003's coming out of the factory have plenty of growl and punch! I'm ecstatic with my 2001 4003! It cannot be compared with my early 70's 4001 but it's rock solid and brand new as well as looks and sounds amazing!!

Oh, they're still making them in Fireglo as well! :D

Best of luck!

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
LONNIE4003

Post by LONNIE4003 »

""The guy I sold it to only paid me $200.00, and was going to "make payments," but he never paid me another dime. I was a wimpy *** kid, and I never did anything about it.""

Hey lets you,me and my pal Louisville Slugger go find this guy and "reminisce" about old times. :wink:
ram

Post by ram »

Richard welcome to THE Forum. Be patient and get some posts on this Forum - there is a For Sale section, and a few others, which may be of help in your quest. There are deals out there especially during these times you just gotta keep a watchful eye. Good luck!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Richard, welcome aboard! Did you see this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=402988
mellowinman

Post by mellowinman »

LONNIE4003 wrote:""The guy I sold it to only paid me $200.00, and was going to "make payments," but he never paid me another dime. I was a wimpy *** kid, and I never did anything about it.""

Hey lets you,me and my pal Louisville Slugger go find this guy and "reminisce" about old times. :wink:
I found him!

This is the guy:

http://www.publicity.com/why-kbmc/meet- ... -danielson

He told me he "sold it to the Urban Guerrillas to make rent."

I think I vaguely remember them.

I will keep you posted if this guy thinks he should do me right after all these years.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

We could all e-mail him about it as a reminder of his obligations. :mrgreen:
mellowinman

Post by mellowinman »

You won't believe it. Here is his reply to me:

Your mom collected it from me and my parents in person she must not have told you.
She said it was for the gas card tab you rang up and as I recall she was effective in her collections.

It was cool that you financed a cool ax to a kid with little cash.

I can't believe it! I totally did ring up a gas(oline) bill at that time. My mom was crafty! I absolutely believe this guy, so I guess the story of the Ric is complete.

Someday I will own a nice 70's 4001 like that again.

That bass ROCKED.
BobHyde

Post by BobHyde »

Richard,

I recently picked up a project '73 off eBay, and I think another one ('74 I think, Fireglo for sure) just sold. They are around!

Good luck!

Bob
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Glad to hear the story has been resolved, Richard. 8)
antonius

Post by antonius »

I never thought I would be able to afford a Rickenbacker, but then in 1990 someone I knew wanted rid of his 1975 4001 because the neck was bent like a banana due to the truss rods being damaged (no doubt due to incorrect adjustment technique). It was horrible to look at!! I think I bought it for only about £200 or maybe even less, then spent a bit more getting the rods fixed (or new ones put in, I can't remember), and I've been playing it ever since. A great bass, and worth much more now than what I paid for it. I hope you manage to strike lucky like I did. They are out there...
mellowinman

Post by mellowinman »

A few years later, and I have an update.
Attachments
rixmas.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”