The Shaolin Beatles perform Abbey Road - two nights in NYC

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

The Shaolin Beatles perform Abbey Road - two nights in NYC

Post by sloop_john_b »

To my NYC/Metro area RRF friends, I am pleased to announce that my part-time Beatles trib band, The Shaolin Beatles, will be performing Abbey Road in it's entirety for a two-show stint December 16th and 17th at Full Cup in Staten Island, NY. Our Abbey Road performance will be the middle set, bookended by two sets of choice selections from early stuff to later stuff.

We have performed this album once before, at our first gig - Halloween night 2009. Since then, we have performed "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Sgt. Pepper" to packed houses and extremely enthusiastic audiences. We're looking forward to improving on our original performance and topping everything else we've done so far.

We don't dress up, and there are five of us covering everything. Our goal is to play everything as close to the original recordings as we possibly can and to have fun doing it!

The Friday 12/16 show is a late one, probably 10:30/11. The Saturday 12/17 show will be our "matinee", starting at 6pm sharp. Both are all-ages.

If you're interested in coming or want some more info, shoot me a PM - I would love to see some of my forum friends there! Obviously there will be lots of good music, not to mention lots and lots of choice instruments. :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: The Shaolin Beatles perform Abbey Road - two nights in NYC

Post by JakeK »

Good luck with the show, JB. I truly like your attitude about playing Beatles...no dressing up, sounding like the Beatles without being The Beatles. Some tribute bands are crazy singing with stressed English accents. Will there be video, by chance?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

When is the North Coast tour, John? 8)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Maybe when we get good Jeff. :lol:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

JakeK wrote:Good luck with the show, JB. I truly like your attitude about playing Beatles...no dressing up, sounding like the Beatles without being The Beatles. Some tribute bands are crazy singing with stressed English accents. Will there be video, by chance?
Just gecause "you gotta look sharp" for gigs doesn't mean you have to look like the Beatles. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I think I might have to try and make this.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jdogric12 wrote:I think I might have to try and make this.
it's gon' be off da HOOK!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Have a great time JB. I know that you guys will do an amazing job of Abbey Road. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Had the first of these shows last night, and I'm leaving for the second one in about an hour. It went well; I tend to get a little nitpicky about my own performance. Stage volume was very loud. I couldn't hear a thing by the 3rd set and the harmonies suffered for sure. But who am I kidding - it was an absolute blast and everybody loved it.

I have no idea where I'm gonna find the energy to do what I did last night AGAIN. :lol:

Ricks were well-represented last night. There was the 4001v68, '79 360/12, '04 620MB and a '02 650C onstage, in addition to a Tenny, Hofner Club, Les Paul, Rocky Strat, and blackguard Tele. Phew!

Tonight, I'm gonna use my friend's newly purchased '86 4003FG in place of my v68. I am also half considering bringing out a Jazzmaster. :lol:

Hoping there were some photos taken, I will post 'em here if I get 'em.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The energy will come to you once you're on stage, John; you can just sleep in tomorrow.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

paologregorio wrote:
JakeK wrote:Good luck with the show, JB. I truly like your attitude about playing Beatles...no dressing up, sounding like the Beatles without being The Beatles. Some tribute bands are crazy singing with stressed English accents. Will there be video, by chance?
Just gecause "you gotta look sharp" for gigs doesn't mean you have to look like the Beatles. :)
Then again, dressing up is fun. If you're into fun.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Have you recovered yet, John? :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jps wrote:Have you recovered yet, John? :shock:
Man, barely. I had no voice yesterday and not much of one today! What a hectic few days. Barely worth it. For day two, we had a full house but kind of a dead one. Band wasn't tight and the venue tried to stiff us on money big time.

It goes without saying that I love playing out no matter what and I would honestly do most of my gigs for free. I live for it. But I wound up a bit in over my head on this one and some members of the band were not quite as dedicated as others and it showed in the final product. It sure felt pretty thankless by the end.

I think I'll take a break from these sorts of shows for a while. :?

Return to “My Gig Forum”