"And You And I" live 2011 with Geoff Downes

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

"And You And I" live 2011 with Geoff Downes

Post by miguelbass »

One of the highlights of this tour was/is/will be the inclusion of "And You and I". Now this is usually a song that is always a high point of any Yesshow , only this time it has some nuances.
It is played rather early on the set... I don't know how to explain but it has a different effect on me. At this point of the show it is lighter to hear and it sounds fresher.. of course it is a very personal opinion.
The other thing I wanted to talk about is the arrangement. Nothing too radically different but a fine detail - the second "bass" melody (which on the record sounds really like a guitar to me) is now played by Geoff Downes, using a very similar sound to the original - a kind of Leslie-processed guitar. Chris sticks with the initial Dum-dum-dum-dum dum-dum and harmonic D pattern. I tend to really like this solution.

Here is again their performance in Portugal

Miguel
Billsbro

Re: "And You And I" live 2011 with Geoff Downes

Post by Billsbro »

What a treat! Thanks Miguel!
I still do a doubletake (despite having seen/heard it before) when I hear those "acoustic" guitar sounds from Steve's Variax guitar. It does sound very convincing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Billsbro wrote:Steve's Variax guitar.
I have just started watching the vid, I thought that was a PRS. :?
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

When I saw them in PHX I was in front of him and he did have a blue Variax plugged into a Line 6 amp. He is an endorser of Variax, isn't he? I don't think I have ever heard his name connected to PRS. (I love MY PRS and think he would like a PRS...) When you are close it is especially weird to hear that acoustic tone come out of an electric guitar.

Anyone else have thoughts?
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I think, and this is just my opinion, that while the Variax is great for what it does (and I wish I'd had one back in my Navy days living aboard a Destroyer) I'd much rather hear Steve playing those parts on a real 12 string and coral guitar (he uses the Variax on CTTE as well). The tone of the Variax does not convince me on those parts. But I'm sure it makes touring life easier!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

I agree completely. I always prefer the real thing, especially when it comes to acoustics and unique things like the Coral Sitar-electric.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Well,thank you for the post,the audio quality is very impressive. I thought the variax sounded quite nice as an acoustic,too. Great performance!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Yes I was very impressed with the audio quality, the person who did it was sitting right beside me, in front of Chris. Credit also goes to the acoustics of the Coliseu de Lisboa.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Miguel
www.miguelbass.com

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”