All I Really Want to Do

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

All I Really Want to Do

Post by kvalois »

Hi, everyone:

I have two questions about "All I Really Want To Do":

1) Why does the Rickenbacker sound different on this song? Is it merely that the compression is pushed up to the max- or anything else?

2) Why did the Byrds record two different versions-- single and LP-- with slightly different lyrics?

Karl :D
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: All I Really Want to Do

Post by JakeK »

It's always sounded to me like Roger used both pickups on full for this song. It was the same version, but with the session producing two different vocal overdubs. I prefer the mono (or single) version, as I do with a lot of '60s music.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I only have one version of "All I Really Wanna Do." And that's the one on the box set "There Is A Season." According to the liner notes Terry Melcher was the producer, the session taking place on March 8, 1965. And it's the mono version released as single 4-43332. No comments are listed as to Roger's pickup selection, or guitar settings. So I suppose your guess is as good as anyone's.
JimK
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Just for you, Jim, here's the stereo version that I have on Mr. Tambourine Man and Essential Byrds

You can easily hear that it's the same take, only with different vocals.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

JakeK wrote:Just for you, Jim, here's the stereo version that I have on Mr. Tambourine Man and Essential Byrds

You can easily hear that it's the same take, only with different vocals.
This is a great song!
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

I saw Roger playing earlier this month and He was brilliant but I would have to say....I think this was the one song that was a little bit 'ropey'.....(compared to his own fantastic standards of course)....He played it on a fireglo 360/12 and it didn't have that fullness or bite........... P.S.. ... .Roger wasn't plugged in either so he must have been playing through a radio mic so I don't know what equipment he was using with it as I have no experience with that. To be honest I don't even know how those things work as I'm not technically savvy .It sounded fine during the concert but this song wasn't so good imo...
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

david/wales/u.k wrote:I saw Roger playing earlier this month and He was brilliant but I would have to say....I think this was the one song that was a little bit 'ropey'.....(compared to his own fantastic standards of course)....He played it on a fireglo 360/12 and it didn't have that fullness or bite........... P.S.. ... .Roger wasn't plugged in either so he must have been playing through a radio mic so I don't know what equipment he was using with it as I have no experience with that. To be honest I don't even know how those things work as I'm not technically savvy .It sounded fine during the concert but this song wasn't so good imo...
Maybe it was a "wireless chord" sort of like a radio deal (I'm not tech savy either.)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

IvanMunoz wrote:
david/wales/u.k wrote:I saw Roger playing earlier this month and He was brilliant but I would have to say....I think this was the one song that was a little bit 'ropey'.....(compared to his own fantastic standards of course)....He played it on a fireglo 360/12 and it didn't have that fullness or bite........... P.S.. ... .Roger wasn't plugged in either so he must have been playing through a radio mic so I don't know what equipment he was using with it as I have no experience with that. To be honest I don't even know how those things work as I'm not technically savvy .It sounded fine during the concert but this song wasn't so good imo...
Maybe it was a "wireless chord" sort of like a radio deal (I'm not tech savy either.)
Roger typically starts his concerts by walking in playing "My Back Pages". He's playing a Rick 12 string using a wireless connection, so his boot heels can wander. The amplification is through the house PA system and he may or may not decide to use a Janglebox on the Rick. The banjo, Martin 12 string, and the Martin D-7 are miked (also sent through the house PA). He uses an 'in ear' monitor system. He likes to travel light. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”