A couple resto questions

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

chronictown
Veteran RRF member

A couple resto questions

Post by chronictown »

I'm currently having a '64 450/6 restored that was purchased as a husk from our friend Gibson Dependable. Some of you might remember it being on eBay before it was parted out...had that weird see-through pickguard (it's in the registry in all its glorious weirdness: http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D1). Anyways, aside from the body pretty much everything else will be non-original, so I thought I'd poll the audience on a couple matters:

1) The original serial number for this guitar was DI 268, before the tailpiece was pillaged and most likely lost for all eternity. Would it be wrong/fraud/horrible/whatever to have the original serial number stamped onto the replacement tailpiece?

2) When the resto's all tidied up, what exactly should this guitar be "called" - a 1964 450/6 (restored)? Is it even a 1964 instrument at this point? Maybe just 450/6 SPC, or something along those lines? Partsenbacker?? Just looking for an appropriate name for this little orphan (and no, not "Annie" :lol:)

Thanks all :D
badeggs
Intermediate Member

Re: A couple resto questions

Post by badeggs »

Call it a '64 450/6. It's still a 450/6, and still originally from 1964...if you ever sold it, you'd qualify its age by saying it's been restored, and list everything that's been changed on it.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”