My Custom Fanned Fret P-style Bass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

walker
Advanced Member

Re: My Custom Fanned Fret P-style Bass

Post by walker »

Good stuff, Scott. I knew compression was used in most radio airplay, but I hadn't considered the dynamic limitations of vinyl.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

walker wrote:Good stuff, Scott. I knew compression was used in most radio airplay, but I hadn't considered the dynamic limitations of vinyl.
Yes, that was the original reason for the invention of the original Fairchild limiter:
http://www.bavodekker.com/670.html
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Nice specs! Are they still in production?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

walker wrote:Nice specs! Are they still in production?
Not that I know of. Some other forumites with more recording/technical experience might be able to answer this question better than I can.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There is at least one 670 clone being made.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here is one.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Very cool bass!
Do you have any pictures of the bridge (underneath the cover) I'd be interested to see how you executed that.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

IvanMunoz wrote:Very cool bass!
Do you have any pictures of the bridge (underneath the cover) I'd be interested to see how you executed that.
I could show you, but then I'd have to kill you. - Hey! I can't give up all my secrets. Besides, there's a new James Bond movie out this weekend, and isn't that, or something similar in the scene where Bond comes face-to-face with the villian du jour one of the standard lines at some point? :mrgreen:
(Hint: sawing the reproduction '60's Fender "bolt-stock" style top load bridge in half, offsetting for the fan, then drilling the holes in the base plate for string through.)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

iiipopes wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:Very cool bass!
I could show you, but then I'd have to kill you. - Hey! I can't give up all my secrets. Besides, there's a new James Bond movie out this weekend, and isn't that, or something similar in the scene where Bond comes face-to-face with the villian du jour one of the standard lines at some point? :mrgreen:
(Hint: sawing the reproduction '60's Fender "bolt-stock" style top load bridge in half, offsetting for the fan, then drilling the holes in the base plate for string through.)
Oh okay! Two peices, I was trying to imagine what it would be cut into four peices would look like! :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IvanMunoz wrote:Oh okay! Two peices, I was trying to imagine what it would be cut into four peices would look like! :mrgreen:
Something like this:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:Oh okay! Two peices, I was trying to imagine what it would be cut into four peices would look like! :mrgreen:
Something like this:
Yeah actually, just more 'homemade' looking. Imagine cutting a fender bridge in four.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I can imagine that. :mrgreen:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Hey, you pickups are crooked! :mrgreen: Just kidding :)
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. If I could, I'd make your vid display.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:
Something like this:
Mmm. Little Guitar works. That's my ultimate dream ergonomic bass: fanned and helixed. In my case, just as I measured my hand for the neck profile, it would be 9 degrees out at the nut and three degrees up at the bridge, which could be done simply with longer height adjustment screws, with the "flat" being at the theoretical 24th fret, and all other scaling remaining the same as my current bass. Anybody out there think Mr. JH could go for something like that?

Return to “The Low End”