Rarity

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Rarity

Post by royclough »

Everyone knows Searchers most famous hit was Needles and Pins, many sites state they recorded it after hearing Jackie De Shannon's original version, though contrary to popular belief she did not write it.

Frank Allen in the book The Searchers And Me states however that Searchers first heard the song at the Star Club in Hamburg when they heard his old group Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers playing it, as it was featured in their live set.

CBRR'S to best of my knowledge never recorded the track, once they were given a recording contract, so unless you were at the Star club in the 60s or saw them play locally in around Hayes no one will have heard this version, however recently a tape was uncovered of the group playing live
at the Blue Moon pub in Hayes,I have that tape and the quality is surprisingly good.

Needles is one of the tracks

So here is Cliff Bennett and The Rebel Rousers I hesitate to say, extremely rare version,as it may not be but it is to me, of Needles and Pins, I am reliably informed that CB sings a dual lead with Frank Allen on the track.

Indeed CBRR's were, it could be argued, a influence on the Searchers because a few numbers they had in their set like Alright, Sick and Tired and Tricky Dicky plus others did appear on The Searchers first albums.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Rarity

Post by admin »

Roy: This is absolutely terrific. What a wonderful find. Certainly the Searchers' rendition resembles this one in many respects. I also love the saxophones added to the mix.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Hopefully I can repost with a better sound quality has a friend who is more into tech stuff than I am believes he can improve, I actually think quality is not bad consdering this was just a someone recording them with a reel to reel taperecorder back in 61/62.. Can't hear much of Frank Allen on it to be honest but assured it was a double lead vocal.

Did you get my private e-mail by the way
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: Yes I did receive the email and I am savouring the content. Thanks for all your efforts.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rob_mac

Post by rob_mac »

royclough wrote:Hopefully I can repost with a better sound quality has a friend who is more into tech stuff than I am believes he can improve, I actually think quality is not bad consdering this was just a someone recording them with a reel to reel taperecorder back in 61/62.. Can't hear much of Frank Allen on it to be honest but assured it was a double lead vocal.

Did you get my private e-mail by the way
Doubt it was recorded in 61/62 as the original version by Jackie Deshannon was not released till April 1963

Rob
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

excellent point didn't pick up on that
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I wonder if maybe it's actually after The Searchers version. It could be from early 1964 if Cliff was playing in Hamburg at the time.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No it is not 64 Frank Allen is on it in fact he tells me he is on shared lead vocal

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”