OK Teckies....I need some assistance.

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ajish4
RRF Moderator

OK Teckies....I need some assistance.

Post by ajish4 »

HELP!

Ok you tech type folks, I am going to try this on my own.....with your help of course! :)

I know this may be basic stuff, but I don't get it.

Here is the situation....I have a Peavey Dyna bass that needs to have the 1/4" jack replaced. It's wired correctly, just worn out, the guitar cable just falls right out.
I just purchased a NOS Peavey Jack on Ebay.
HERE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300644273304?ss ... 1497.l2649

As far as I know, this old bass was wired MONO, YES?

The situation is that the Jack in the bass has FOUR wires going to it. TWO in the inside ring portion, then two separate wires to two outside connectors.
I tried to take pics, but it's so tight, they just don't come out clearly. My rotten auto-focus isn't working.

What am I missing here? DO I NEED a stereo connector?

I'm totally new at this stuff guys, I'm not even sure of my soldering abilities, I'm VERY, VERY RUSTY.

Any help with a direct link to the proper part would be greatly appreciated. The TOTAL length of the jack from tip to tip is 2 1/4" long.
The guitar has a gold tone, but I really don't care, just would like a reliable, inexpensive way to do this.

Thanks!
scotty

Re: OK Teckies....I need some assistance.

Post by scotty »

I thought you typed Trekkies! Tony lol i was all ready to set phasers to stun.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

scotty wrote:I thought you typed Trekkies! Tony lol i was all ready to set phasers to stun.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

This is a shot in the dark, since I'm not at all familiar with these basses, but my understanding is that the Dyna-Bass has an on-board pre-amp (powered by a 9-volt battery). According to the manual, which I found on line, the 1/4" jack is also used as a switch for the pre-amp, so that when the plug is removed the circuit to the pre-amp is broken (so that the battery won't drain).

This is nothing more than a guess, but it seems likely that they used a stereo TRS jack to act as a switch for the pre-amp when you insert a standard mono cable. (Indeed, the manual expressly says that a stereo cable won't work). This is a fairly standard way to use a plug as a switch. From Wikipedia:
A standard stereo jack is used on most battery-powered guitar effects pedals to eliminate the need for a separate power switch. In this configuration, the internal battery has its negative terminal wired to the sleeve contact of the jack. When the user plugs in a two-conductor (mono) guitar or microphone lead, the resulting short-circuit between sleeve and ring connects an internal battery to the unit's circuitry, ensuring that it powers up or down automatically whenever a signal lead is inserted or removed. A drawback of this design is the risk of inadvertently discharging the battery if the lead is not removed after use, such as if the equipment is left plugged in overnight.
So I'm guessing that although the bass is wired mono, you still need a stereo connector to use as the preamp switch.

What does the existing jack look like? Does it have only one piece that makes contact with the tip when a plug is inserted, or is there a second similar-looking thing that touches the plug a bit lower down on the barrel? If so, it's a stereo jack.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

scotty wrote:Tony lol i was all ready to set phasers to stun.
He doesn't need anyone's help with that. There's already too many phasers set to stun pointed at him already! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
scotty

Post by scotty »

Aye and Janeys in the wings with her Tinkerbell rolling pin! :lol: Sorry back to the thread.... :D
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

There's already too many phasers set to stun pointed at him already!
At least he hopes they're set to stun ...
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hey Tony, just beam it over to my house, I'll get it all sorted out for ya!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The preamp and using the jack as a switch sounds like a good possibility. Unless, yours doesn't have a preamp...

Oh, and it should be spelled "Techies...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

scotty wrote:Aye and Janeys in the wings with her Tinkerbell rolling pin! :lol: Sorry back to the thread.... :D
Tony doesn't know it yet, but there's a Tinkerbell tattooed on his back! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I did a quick Google search on "jack for use with an active bass" and this discussion was in the list of hits:

*** URL to other forum removed by moderator ***

Based on what I read there, a stereo jack will work by using the two lower lugs for the active (battery) on/off shorting connection.

Tony, you might want to cross-post this in The Vibrola section.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Gary, I deleted the link to the other forum as it's against the rules. Sorry about that...

Here's a good diagram of how a stereo jack is used for power switching (in effects boxes, but the method is the same):

Here's the actual page where that image comes from:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/w ... rapper.htm
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

OH MAN!

Thanks everyone!

Jonathan, YES there is a preamp. It's switchable too, I can switch it on or off and run passive.

It's a barrel jack, so I can't see inside.

Gary, could you PM me that link?

CJ, I know LOLOLOL....I spelled it that way intentionally. WHY? I have NO IDEA, I just like it better! :mrgreen: :lol:

So I take it, this isn't a good first attempt to try? I'd really like to get it working again...

Joey & Scotty.........................I'll tall ya later! :wink:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

PM with other forum link sent...
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Thanks CJ,

Pm replied.

I'll try some pics in the am.

I'd really like to get this bass back into the rotation! :)
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

So I take it, this isn't a good first attempt to try? I'd really like to get it working again...
I don't think this will be too tricky a project, but you're going to need to get the right part first - I'm now pretty confident that you need a stereo barrel jack, rather than the mono jack you got on eBay.

The stereo jack will have two different connectors on the back side - one for the tip and one for the ring of a stereo plug - plus a third connector on the side for the sleeve. If you look at how it is connected now and follow the wires back, I think you will find that the wire connected to the ring lead goes to the battery, the wire connected to the tip lead is your signal wire, and the two wires connected to the sleeve lead are ground. Once you figure out which wire is which, sticking in the new jack and wiring it up the same way shouldn't be too tricky.

Return to “The Low End”